CM suggestion: uneven battles

A topic that seems to pop up frequently in this message board is the "over-even" nature of battles in CM. That is, the fact that the forces are matched to provide an equal battle results in non-realistic games.

Now I have some questions and a suggestion concerning this problem. (Well, some people may not think that it is a problem but some definitely do.) First, has this already been discussed to death in another thread before smile.gif Second, how does the battle result calculation handle uneven forces at the moment?

Third, as the question above hints, if there is a problem here it can be fixed by modifying the result calculation system. That is, it should be fairly easy (I think) to make the system such that it takes into account the original force sizes. If someone tells me what the current formula is, I can make a suggestion for the new one.

And finally, modification of the QB system to be able to produce uneven battles should be very straightforward.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by Nabla (edited 03-14-2001).]

I think the win - loss calculation is up to the players involved to agree upon, mostly discarding the result provided by the game engine.

"Uneven" battles are the type I prefer...

I have done this scenario of a historical ME, where force balance is in the magnitude of 10:1. Obviously the goal for the lesser side (the Allies) is to survive for as long as possible, while the attacker has to wipe them out fast and with minor own losses.

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Croda:

You can accomplish uneven battles by giving one side a percentage increase in points. Just discuss it with your opponent before hand.

As for the victory calculations, they take this into account just fine.

Ok, thanks, didn't know this one. But I don't think that other people know it too well either, since in other threads this is pinpointed as one of the main faults of CM when reality is concerned. Hmm, perhaps there's still something I'm missing here...?

If it's a friendly game, leave some of your force pick points unutilized, or keep a platoon way in the back and unused the whole game.

If knowing who won depends on the actual point tallies (like I guess in a ladder game) then I don't know.

Or, I guess you could always make sure you play against Croda. No matter what the point tallies are, it's always a moral victory when you play against someone like Croda.

-dale

------------------

I LOST A BLOOD HAMSTER BATTLE TO PETERNZ. MY SIG FILE IS NOW HIS AND I AM HIS SLAVE. PLEASE ABUSE ME AS YOU SEE FIT AND CALL ME A DOO-DOO HEAD. IT IS MY PLACE IN LIFE, I WILLINGLY ACCEPT IT.