Artillery and gameplay...also sharpshooter blues

This isn't intended to be a complaint smile.gif (I know this post is gonna get roasted now)

Offboard artillery and realism...

Here's the example: I ordered my spotter to call for artillery. A few shots rain down, and he gets shot at. Now the bombardment stops.

ehhh. Huh???

eek.gif

Maybe I'm thinking wrong but I thought he called the strike. I dont remember him canceling it. In my mind, the spotter said "lettem have it and dont stop until you're out of ammo." In the game, he's saying "Stop firing because I really wanna watch."

Why cant I just call for and indirect fire mission and get out of dodge. Would seem logical.

Is this just a game balance issue or can someone point this out in a believable reply that pestering my spotter would abort the entire fire mission?

Also...

I made a battle with a bunch (50 plus) sharpshooters in a town and wanted to see how many halftracks would make it to the objective flag. Yes this isn't really realistic, but I wanted to see what happened. Well, something unexpected altogether did. The sharpshooters never fired a shot. confused.gif

I've driven through an arty impact zone once in my life and I was grateful that the spotter was up and aware.

My lieutenant almost crapped himself when he found where we were on the map.

In CM, you can pause, shift fire and stop fire all with your spotter. If you are having trouble with people shooting at him, then attach him to a platoon leader and let the platoon leader have the LOS to the target. Be sure to have the FO in command though. You can tuck the FO behind a hill or in some thick forest too.

I thought you couldn't attach off board artillery spotters to HQ units to gain LOS.

Thats what this is about...Offboard spotters. Its not a question about tactics either. I'm just looking at a specific point of gameplay and whether its realistic or just a gameplay choice. cool.gif

Greetings,

Arty spotters (FOs) don't usually just call for fire and leave it at that. They observe the fire, adjust it when necessary, and keep repeating the Fire For Effects until the desired effect on the target is achieved. If the spotter is pinned down and can't see the effects it is possible or even likely he is wasting valuable arty rounds...which is not in his or his supported unit's best interest.

Basically if he is suppressed by enemy fire he will have a hard time doing his job. The remedy; be careful where you place him and try to keep him out of easy reach and sight of enemy infantry types.

Hope that helps.

Out here....

Hi,

I ihave had a similar thought about the FCOs but have never said anything. In my limited training we where called occasionally to do a FCO role, to this end we brought the shot in and gave the order 'fire for effect x rounds'. x being the amount of ammunition we wanted brought in on the target, I seem to remember something about giving the fire order in a time as well.

To this end if I gave a FCO to fire for effect 10 rounds and was then promptly shot dead the attack would continue.

How did they control FCOs in WW2, did they call in each round, designate a time, give an amount of shells to be fired or something else, perhaps if we found a proper answer to this something might be seen to be changed or left as it is?

YOurs

Graham