Use of Mounted Infantry

As a newbie to the forum, I would like first to say how much I have enjoyed the sense of community. I have probably learned more (and laughed harder) in the last 3-4 days of lurking than in 5 months of playing CM!

I have a question that may have been addressed elsewhere (advanced apologies to the Searchanauts). When using infantry mounted in a vehicle, how does one give orders to both the vehicle and the infantry so that the vehicle moves to a fixed spot and disgorges the troops? I have either had the infantry hop out, simply to watch the HT's motor over the hill, or the HT drive to a spot and have the troops simply sit there wool-gathering. I have had to make this a two step (2-turn) process: Turn 1 - move HT's, Turn 2 - unass HT. Often times this leaves me vulnerable for longer than necessary.

I realize that HT's should be used primarily as transport outside of the enemies sight, so this question may simple be "How can I save time?"

Thanks,

Speedbump

This is tricky to do under the best of circumstances.

If you want the vehicle to move to a spot and then have the passengers get out, you can order them to move to their final destination spot and insert a number of pauses equal to your estimation of the travel time for the vehicle. Since units always pause first, they will wait for the trip and then get out and move to the spot you designate.

Remember to factor in command delay.

This should work every time, if you estimate right. But I have trouble with it..

Often, unless troops are being carried by HTs across terrain as part of a mechanized assault, I dismout out of sight of the enemy to avoid being caught in precisely the vulnerable spot you mention.

Terence,

Thanks! So the key is the pauses used with the infantry. I don't know how many times I found myself screaming at some clueless squad of infantry as it unassed while the HT was in the command delay. And sure enough, seconds after they hop out, there goes their ride!

Speedbump

Units will hop off of vehicles that become immobilized, but in 1.1, they will stay on bogged vehicles.

Welcome to the forum.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

One thing that works well is to plot multiple -turn movement orders for the HTs. Once they are moving plot your disembark orders for the infantry. They hop off when the HT stops.

On a side note, one of my favorite things to watch in CM is a mechanized advance when they happen upon some poor enemy infantry stupid enough to open fire. A platoon of HTs gives of some pretty bad assed firepower.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

one of my favorite things to watch in CM is a mechanized advance when they happen upon some poor enemy infantry stupid enough to open fire. A platoon of HTs gives of some pretty bad assed firepower.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless that enemy infantry happens to have a .50 cal MG along. In which case - esp if the.50 is dug in -- you can end up with some fairly surprised infantry in the middle of a field, wondering why their ride has so many holes in it.

I lost 5 of 6 German HTs (and a fair number of the men inside) when they got bushwhacked by one (thats ONE, 1, un) regular .50 at nearly 500 meters.

That is true, watch out for those .50s. They'll put a hole in just about anything short of a Panzer IV.

But if one is advancing a platoon or two of mech infantry with armored support, I pitty the .50 that opens up. He might get one, but he is going down. And it isn't like the firefight would not be cool to watch anyways.

Also, I noticed that I saw two targeting lines emenating from my loaded HTs the other night. I watched the film again, and lo and behold the infantry was firing while mounted.

WWB

[edited for idiotic omission]

[This message has been edited by wwb_99 (edited 01-17-2001).]

Guest Michael emrys

Also, I noticed that I saw two targeting lines emenating from my loaded HTs the other night. I watched the film again, and lo and behold the infantry was firing while mounted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's interesting. I thought the game had been written so that could not happen. One must now enquire whether bazooka-type weapons can now be fired from halftracks or FOs can target from vehicles.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 01-17-2001).]

One thing that works well is to plot multiple -turn movement orders for the HTs. Once they are moving plot your disembark orders for the infantry. They hop off when the HT stops.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This works, however, if the drop off destination is at least 50 meters or so away from the start point you can give the passenger its move order at the beginning of the turn and it will stay mounted until the vehicle has finish its plotted movement. So you can do it all in a single turn.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Now that's interesting. I thought the game had been written so that could not happen. One must now enquire whether bazooka-type weapons can now be fired from halftracks or FOs can target from vehicles.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tried targetting with FOs mounted on tanks. Did not work. I'm on 1.1, so that is the way it's gonna be as far as I understand it.

Also, I noticed that I saw two targeting lines emenating from my loaded HTs the other night. I watched the film again, and lo and behold the infantry was firing while mounted. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, now that wouldn't be a M3A1 with a .50 and a .30 would it?

I am pretty sure that passengers cannot fire or be fired. They are an abstraction in the current implementation.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

No, the two targeting lines were emminating from a SPW 251/1 with a motorized squad riding. I had no control over this targeting line, and I could not manually target with the unit. They were shooting at an infantry squad less than 50m away, at about 2 o'clock (if 12 o'clock is the front of the HT). The enemy squad fired on them first.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

Unless that enemy infantry happens to have a .50 cal MG along.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Germans don't have any .50cals, but they do have 20mm AAA...

A quad 20 usually brews up any M3/M5 with the first burst.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Speedbump

Mounting a vehicle:

Just give the desired infantry unit an embark order, but don't give the vehicle a movement order in the same turn. If you're unlucky, your infantry refuses to mount the vehicle (even if you`ve issued pause orders to it) while the vehicle moves to it's designed spot. I've got very dissapointing results when I tried to mount a vehicle which had movement orders in the same turn.

Dismounting:

Once your infantry has mounted the coffin with balsawood armour, you can order the vehicle to move to your choosen designition and you can also plot the order to dismount your infantry ( and even more the one movement order ) in the same turn .

From my experiance, the infantry won't dismount earlier as long as the vehicle is moving or just having movement orders.

Does it make sense?