Sherman IIC

Id say it was camouflage to stop the Germans realising that it was a firefly - they used to target Fireflies because they were dangerous to their heavy tanks (and were often troop leaders tanks) - I am only guessing but it makes sense that they would try and disguise the barrel length in order to prevent this targetting

Correct. On Sherman IICs and Fireflies one often sees this done to give an impression of a shorter barrel. I've seen some Canadian fireflies with a large can of some sort mounted halfway down the barrel as well to simulate a muzzle brake. Camo netting was also used on the front portion of the 17 pounder to break up its shape.

Is this all simulated when troops are trying to spot these tanks?

------------------

There was a long silence of rememberance for the dead, to which I added these names:

Ernst Neubach, Lensen, Wiener, Wesreidau, Prinz, Solma, Hoth, Olensheim, Sperlovski, Smellens, Dunde, Kellerman, Freivitch, Ballers, Frosch, Woortenbeck, Siemenlies...

I refuse to add Paula to that list, and I shall never forget the names of Hals, or Lindberg, or Pferham, or Wollers. Their memory lves within me.

There is another man, whom I must forget. He was called Guy Sajer.