Ammo transfer

Why can't a tank share coaxial and bow MG ammo with the exterior flexible MG? For example, Shermans with 3 MG's, the flexible runs out, why can't the commander say, "Hey Joe, pass me up some ammo!" Or are the interior MG's .30 cal and the exterior is a .50?

"Depende". (it depends...)

The rule was a O,50 in HMG for AA defense (case of M 4 Shermans, M 24 Chaffee, and the various TDs).

The exceptions were all M 3:

* Grant/Lee (four 0,3 in MGs: one in a commander cupola, the coax, and two in the hull; case of Lee);

* Stuart (at least in the M 3 A1 model, five 0,3 in MGs! : a coax, the AA one, the front hull and "two fixed in the sponsons for operation by the driver" -the last ones were depleted with the M 3 A3, exchanging them for more driver space AND thicker armour (original was 43 mm maximun));

*and some (the less) of the M 3 HT, IIRC, were also armed with two 0,3 in MG (instead of the common mix)

The combo is justified for its "flexibility". And -truly is very useful, just until you deplete a kind of ammo. Then it is a "logistical nightmare". ((Einstein´s Law of weapon relativity)).

Regards.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntg84:

Or are the interior MG's .30 cal and the exterior is a .50?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Paco pointed out, that is the case in the game. I have noticed that the .50s do tend to deplete their ammo rather quickly. I had an idea the other day of a way to avoid that, but it's rather radical. If you button up, the TC can't operate the .50 which conserves its ammo until you have a target you really need it for. The downside, obviously, is that your spotting/response time is seriously compromised. Probably not worth it.

Might be nice when you target an enemy unit that in addition to the "Use Main Gun Y/N?" dialogue, you also got one that reads "Use .50 Y/N?"

Michael

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

Transfer would be nice, but where would it end? Since the Garand, BAR and M1919 all use the same ammo, in a pinch a BAR gunner or rifleman could unlink machinegun belts for thier own weapon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats going to far...

> Might be nice when you target an enemy

> unit that in addition to the "Use Main Gun

> Y/N?" dialogue, you also got one that

> reads "Use .50 Y/N?"

That's gamey. IMHO, when an unbuttoned TC sees a soft target at an appropriate range, he would normally shoot without much thinking about ammo conservation.

Skipper writed:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That's gamey. IMHO, when an unbuttoned TC sees a soft target at an appropriate range, he would normally shoot without much thinking about ammo conservation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally concur. Moreover, in this period. With the "HEATed-rocket-fever", it will be INSANE to ignore any infantry.

To Reverendo:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If so, drop me an e-mail.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your e-mail address, it´s giving me an error mailing you. Or see my profile, ICQ included.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skipper:

> Might be nice when you target an enemy

> unit that in addition to the "Use Main Gun

> Y/N?" dialogue, you also got one that

> reads "Use .50 Y/N?"

That's gamey. IMHO, when an unbuttoned TC sees a soft target at an appropriate range, he would normally shoot without much thinking about ammo conservation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can be disputed. For one thing, the .50 on most American tanks was so located that the TC had to get out of the turret to fire it at ground targets. Secondly, even in a case where the AAMG had been more conveniently relocated, there should have been some question in the TC's mind whether he should be firing off limited ammo or saving it for situations where the additional penetration of the .50 would be needed. Thirdly, his primary job is to spot targets and command the vehicle. Firing the AAMG only comes after that. Anything that can be handled by the bow and/or coax MGs he would leave to them.

Michael