July 2nd, 1776

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America, to be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival, commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty from one end of the Continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore. You will think me transported with enthusiasm, but I am not. I am well aware of the toil, the blood, and treasure that it will cost us to maintain this Declaration and support and defend these states; yet, through all the gloom, I can see the rays of light and glory; that the end is worth all the means; that posterity will triumph in that day's transaction, even though we shall rue it, which I trust in God we shall not." -speech given by John Adams on the 2nd of July, 1776 before Congress. smile.gif

Just a question; In the war (or wars) of Independence, what sort of total casualty figures are we talking?

I'm just trying to get some sort of perspective on the war compared to other wars of the period.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

Just a question; In the war (or wars) of Independence, what sort of total casualty figures are we talking?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the Civil War was the worst in US history for casualties (in numbers and as a percentage of the population.) I believe WWII would be second. You have asked a good question. I think the numbers for the Revolutionary War are going to be relatively low. OK super-brains out there what's the answer?

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: StellarRat ]

American military dead (from all causes): Approx. 25,700 --- with 1400 missing.

British: Approx. 10,000.

What's more tragic is that many American vets came out of the war penniless, and congress couldn't come up with any money for pensions until 1818.