CM Map/Scenarii file format reference

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is some place where I can find a technical reference about the map/scenario and maybe campaigns file format of combat missions.

I saw that some battle editors had been written the I suppose that this information should be available somewhere.

Thanks by advance

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FFL_Trick:

Hello,

I'd like to know if there is some place where I can find a technical reference about the map/scenario and maybe campaigns file format of combat missions.

I saw that some battle editors had been written the I suppose that this information should be available somewhere.<hr></blockquote>

To my knowledge there isn't a reference on the file format for CM. If people were able to hack the file format then there would be some cheating going on in PBEM games.

The one and only battle editor is included in the game. The documentation is in the manual. There are some tips posted on several CM web sites about making battles. You can find these by browsing through the CM Web Ring (use the RESOURCES link on the left bullet menu.

Well, in fact I was thinking about coding a map converter from Close Combat map files to CM ones. They are very close one to another, both use a surface tiling for elevation and map elements.

So, if anybody has a clue to do this... Otherwise I would probably try to hack a little the thing but its never easy...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FFL_Trick:

Well, in fact I was thinking about coding a map converter from Close Combat map files to CM ones. They are very close one to another, both use a surface tiling for elevation and map elements.

So, if anybody has a clue to do this... Otherwise I would probably try to hack a little the thing but its never easy...<hr></blockquote>

A good number of CC2 maps have been done in CM. I have done two of them myself, although only in operation mode, not scenario/battle mode. IIRC, it is real easy to convert from CC to CM:

In the CC battle editor screen, the map is divided into a 20 meter grid, which happens to be CM's tile size. All you need to do is press PRINT SCREEN to make a screen capture, then open up a graphics program (or even MS Word) and paste the screen capture. Then you can print it out.

Only the elevations need interpreting, but if you have the CC user made map editor tools then you can figure out the elevations of any map.