Fluffy New Updates at "Der Kessel"

Originally posted by Stuka:

How the ferk'in hell do you "allocate" more memory to a game?

If your system is say, 128mb, apart from using some of the RAM to keep the background programms going, wouldn't the rest be free for game use?

Gotta say you PC users have us Mac users there. The Mac OS is using the same memory scheme it has since 1984. All applications are assigned a specific amount of RAM to take. If it doesn't need it all it's wasted... if it isn't enough, your program will run slow or not at all.

I'm really used to it.. it's kinda neat seeing how well apps run with more or less RAM but I agree it is a very old way of handling RAM....

Now when OS X (that's 10 not the letter X) comes out next month, any application written for it will be able to dynamically take as much RAM as it needs and release it when it doesn't need it... that is, at least for programs reworked for X. OS X is based on UNIX so we will have some real power under the hood. Preemptive multi-tasking, true multi-threaded, better virtual memory, and dynamic memory allocation... Yeah, I know NT has this stuff already.. but I'm a Mac guy and love it.

scott karch

Originally posted by Zaffod:

Sounds super.. Just got on your site for the first time a few weeks ago. Lots of good stuff...

Almost makes me forget about that one CMBO HQ site that was updated a few ages ago... hmmff - and i thought all the mods n updates were dead!

Thanks for a breath of fresh air, mensch!

Zaff'

Hey Zaff.. thanks! smile.gif you brightened my day.. thanks. I got a big smile, happy to help.. if there is anything you guys don't see, but would like to see drop me an email and I'll see what I can do! We are also willing to host mods from the few handful mod makers that would enjoy a host site. The amount of work I have I have been lagging on the mod department.. I don't know how TigerS does it, total profi on that field he is.

-----------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 02-23-2001).]