Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Targetting friendly troops?!

In a night scenario I'm more or less holding a village. Suddenly one of my rifle-squads promptly turns to the right, targets another rifle-squad (a friendly one).

As if that was not enough, they actually fire a "round" at the friendly squad!!!

I am not mistaken, there is no enemy so near that they could have targetted and I simply mistook it.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Note: I played US Army, both squads were regular. The firing squad was not under fire themselves at the moment, but the targetted squad had several German squads firing at them.

Was the firing squad only doing a quick desertion, then coming back into line?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stefan Fredriksson:

Was the firing squad only doing a quick desertion, then coming back into line?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At night or (less so) in foggy conditions squads have been known to mis-identify their friends and fire at them, both in CM and in Real Life. Hence the origion of the phrase: "Friendly Fire"

In general the higher the quality of the troops the less chance there is of this happening.

--Chris

I had this happen to me during a night battle...I had just mauled an enemy position, and both troops in that group, plus my other group on an adjacent hilltop 150m away started shooting at each other, panicking a few squads. bad news.

perhaps you can even have your AT gun nail your own tank?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

perhaps you can even have your AT gun nail your own tank?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen actual HE or AP shells being fired on friendly targets. I wouldn't rule it out of course. I'd be interested to hear if this has happened to anyone.

--Chris

It actually pays to keep a close eye on your hiding troops when defending at night. Normally I check every turn if any of my units target another one. If they do I'll be able to re-adjust their target line to their original ambush point before unforeseen and nasty things happen. Both to the target squad, and the squad that cancelled its own ambush in order to target their own buddies.

You'll also note that at night regular and lower troops have a tendency to unhide when heavy vehicles drive by at close ranges. I check that as well, so I'll be able to hide them again before they are spotted or do anything rash.