Why can't armor quality be random?

I was thinking... It is possible that older models of Panthers, Tigers, and other German AFVs could be older AFVs that were manufactured before armor quality became and issue for the Germans and that are still in service. The Germans were really big on recovering and salvaging their AFVs after battles.

Also... Did the allied ever have armor quality issues? And if so why aren't they penalized?

Jeff

This has been brought up before... and I don't think we've seen a BTS response to it. Well I haven't anyway smile.gif I'd like for Steve or someone else to respond to this issue.

I agree that armor quality should be random. Not EVERY single Panther had armor 85% of full quality. Some were worse, some were better.

Same thing should apply to early war Shermans, and every armored vehicle in the game, actually.

Obviously, the period of the war in question will have an effect on the CHANCE of defective armor, but it shouldn't be an absolute, and if the computer dice say that the armor should be less than what it is rated, the amount of difference should be random. Late war German stuff should start to have more occurences of defective armor, but not all Panthers, stugs, etc. will suffer from this problem.

Also...DON'T TELL THE PLAYER THAT A PARTICULAR VEHICLE HAS ARMOR OF LESSER QUALITY! It would be realistic that way, and add in a nice randomness element. Subtle, yet potentially important.

Anyway, I'm done for now. Steve, Charles, MadMatt.... we need your input smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I suspect that the penetration determination already has a random factor involved. If so, I would suspect that it would be considered to already include variations in armor quality as well as small variations in strike angle, projectile ballistics, etc.

Michael<hr></blockquote>

That is true, but the armor quality is right there for you to see in the units stats and it is fixed. That is what I have a problem with.

Jeff

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jshandorf:

That is true, but the armor quality is right there for you to see in the units stats and it is fixed. That is what I have a problem with.<hr></blockquote>

I have no special insight into what the designers of the game intended to imply with those numbers, but I would at least consider that they were there for reference purposes for the player. They may represent averages and are therefore not so fixed.

Michael