CM on Mobygames

http://www.mobygames.com/game/view_review/platformId=3/reviewerId=3675/gameId=3062/

Check out my little review of CM on MobyGames. Feel free to write your own review and be sure to rate the game. It wouldn't hurt for someone to send them some screenshots, either. I sent in a scan of the manual cover, but it hasn't been posted yet.

MobyGames is a neat little site that has lots of info on many different games, including many older games.

-Doug

Nice review. smile.gif

I think your comparison to Doom is a bit misleading though.

- What Doom did was to spread the concept of FPS, that started with Wolfenstein 3D. Doom was little more than a Wolfenstein clone, with some added features and successful marketing through shareware.

- CMBO presents (AFAIK) a whole new concept (the combination of WEGO, true 3D graphics and a powerful AI), and therefore better compared to Wolfenstein 3D.

Cheers

Olle

Doom was far more than a Wolf 3D clone: compare the atmosphere, level design, music and sounds, immersion--not to mention the introduction of modem and serial deathmatch. Doom is one of the most significant games ever made, despite its obvious roots in id's earlier game.

------------------

I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes cryin' home to his momma. --Mr. T

Thanks, Olle. I see your point about Doom, put I must echo Gremlin's comments. Doom was a giant leap forward from Wolf3D, just as I think CM is a giant leap forward from other tactical squad level WW2 games. BTS didn't invent the genre, they just took it to the next level....like Doom did. The WEGO system is unique, as I mentioned in the review.

Feel free to write your own review, BTW. Lots of games on the site have multiple reviews.

I admit mine was hastily done (from work), and I left out some things, like the excellent AI. I also neglected to mention the multiplayer aspects. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Doug Williams (edited 03-07-2001).]