MacBook

bruce10301

It could be a long wait for a universal binary for TacOps. I am only working on it part time and its now canoe/kayaking season in Texas. Plus by the time that I finish it, Apple will have probably gone charging off in an entirely new direction and I'll have to start all over. smile.gif

I have not tested the Windows version of TacOps4 on an Intel Mac via WXP with Parallels or Boot Camp so I can't tell you if either approach would work. If the demo version works under either approach that would be a good sign but still not proof.

Honesty Alert. Should I find out that the current Windows version of TacOps4 does not work well on an Intel Mac via WXP with Parallels or Boot Camp, I won't put any time into trying to make it work. So ... definitely a case for "Buyer beware". smile.gif

Dear Major:

Thanks for the quick response (exactly 2 hours!). I'll order the Mac/Win disc and somehow MAKE IT WORK. After over 20 years as a computer gamer (starting out with an original IBM PC) I don't know of anyone who supports their product as well as you do.

Bruce,

I have a MacBook Pro and will test it for you later tonight (machine busy at the moment).

Parallels and XP Pro (SP2) [your option 1] would be best for convenience (but isn't as good for compatibility).

BootCamp and XP Pro (SP2) [your option 2] would be best for compatibility (but requires a reboot into Windows so looses out on convenience).

Option 3 would be preferred but as Major H said you (we) might be waiting a while.

In either case your machine being a MacBook doesn't have a discrete video card with independant VRAM (it shares the "normal" RAM) so graphics in other simulations might be an issue. I'd say TacOps should be fine though because it doesn't have lots of graphics going on.

Bruce;

I just received the following from a TacOps4 user. I am just passing the info on, I do not vouch for its accuracy nor usefulness for your situation.

= = = = =

Major,

I have no intention of buying a windows XP licence. I have been able to run v4 [for Windows?] under Crossover without any problems.

Regards, ,Jon R

Jon Reinertsen, reinertj@smartchat.net.au

= = = = =

Major,

Will you still be suporting the Apple Clasic OS for those of us running the G3-5 series machines where OSX also has OS9 available.

The comments re the intel Mac and Crossover are interesting.

Thanks.

Bruce,

Sorry took a bit longer than I thought.

Certainly BootCamp and XP Pro (SP2) works fine. I'll stick with this as I need the "true compatibility" it provides for other applications.

CrossOver works too (at least with the Windows 2000 config) but I had a small issue in that the setup window became obscured. I was able to find it again though (by moving the X-11 window) and game did run OK.

With that option you don't need to reboot or buy a Windows licence.

> Will you still be suporting the Apple Clasic OS for those

> of us running the G3-5 series machines where OSX also

> has OS9 available.

No, TacOps4 is my last Mac OS9 compatible program. I mildly detest OSX, but as a one man band I can't support very many OS variants.

I will try to handle two for the Mac (OSX Intel and OSX non Intel) and two for Windows (XP and Vista).