One tough Puma...

I thought I'd share this because I found it amusing. I just played a small QB against the AI, computer-purchased forces. I got a platoon of Vet US Engineers, a 105mm Sherman, and a couple of halftracks. [Also a couple of 60mm mortars that never fired a shot, both being knocked out by 75mm arty later in the battle.] The map was high at both ends (the setup areas) with a low valley in the middle. At setup I could "see" (global spotting) a Puma in the village, but didn't have LOS to it. So I fired a couple of HE rounds as close as I could to it. Soon thereafter the 105 was immobilized by a light flak gun (which took several turns and most of my HE loadout to kill).

I then did a cautious advance across the valley and into the village. I had an attached bazooka team which eventually snuck into a building next to where I knew the Puma was and crawled into LOS. The Puma just sat there, buttoned. So the next turn from a range of 30m Bazooka Joe fired and missed with 3 shots before being pinned and suppressed by small arms fire from German troops. The next turn I fired two more shots, finally hit and got a penetration but didn't kill it. So the Puma finally decides to back up. I follow it with an engineer squad, who lob a satchel charge at it but fail to kill it. The Puma backs up further and the squad is panicked by other Germans. Forward goes Bazooka Joe again. He fires, hits and penetrates again -- still not knocked out. Joe misses with his 7th shot, but connects with his last round -- another penetration, and STILL not dead. The Germans surrrendered at that point; I was about to run a halftrack behind it to try my luck with the .50.

During all of this, the Puma never fired a shot. I'm guessing that I shocked it and maybe damaged the gun with my initial HE salvo from the 105. That or the crew REALLY needed their morning coffee.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Martin Cracauer

Could also be gun damaged.

You can check enemy shocked, immobilized and damaged gun after the battle by choosing "map" in the report window and selecting the unit in question. In case you don't know.

Yesterday I also had a Churchill with a damaged gun that didn't do anything, controlled by the AI opponent. Against a human opponent, you will see much bluffing against your armor or the tank equivalent of the ghost's saying "Buh!" against your infantry.

Originally posted by Martin Cracauer:

You can check enemy shocked, immobilized and damaged gun after the battle by choosing "map" in the report window and selecting the unit in question. In case you don't know.

Unfortunately, when the enemy surrenders the vehicle simply shows as "Abandoned." If I had saved the game before then I could have surrendered myself to check, but I didn't care that much.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Martin Cracauer

Originally posted by Subvet:

I thought ghost said "Boo!" wink.gif

German tanks say "Buh". Compare Hui Buh, the favorite ghost for many German childs. Well, before MTV and Pokemon, that is...

That of course opens the question whether the allied tactic of using a lower sounding vocal is gamey...

[Autsch, Autsch - aeh I mean, Ouch, Ouch, don't beat me that hard]

[This message has been edited by Martin Cracauer (edited 03-24-2001).]