Finland vs. USSR in CM2

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ari Maenpaa:

From documents of the ‘Katyn case’ turns out that seven camps were preparing to take in 20 000 Finnish 'POWs' during February ‘40." (free translation is mine)...

But by no means don’t let it hide the main fact: In 1940 the USSR was preparing to cleanse Finland just like it had cleansed the Soviet part of Poland.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Soviets expected Finland to surrender, surely they also expected to get POW's as well. Just for perspectives sake, in Finnish civil war died over 30.000 Finns (about percent of population). Half of them died in camps after the war. Of course there were LOTS of more communist prisoners in those camps. Was it a cleansing or just standard handling of prisoners?

It could also be a sign of forthcoming cleansings, but there was no need for hurry and camps could later be established in Finland by our beloved new leader, O. W. Kuusinen. To truly clean Finland of the capitalist, bourgeois and nationalist "scum", twenty thousand would be way too low. Thus I could see those camps only containing the most acute "trouble makers", such as members of IKL, Suojeluskunta and people with a big mouth.

Of course this is only my hasty view to the matter. I am not familiar with how Soviets in general at the time did those things.