BTS be generous and...

In CM although C&C is modelled, lets face it, CM allows you to give extremely detailed orders to squad level units, that would may or may not be issued by their platoon or company commanders in real life. ie exact movement, fast, crawl, etc., exact positioning, targets, fire commands.

If we take the situation of that MG team, cut off (out of ammo?). The decision to surrender falls on the team commander. That theoretically becomes you. So for the sake of humanity having the surrender order would be a nice addition. smile.gif

IPA

You have a surrender option in the hot key list. It surrenders the battle, which is what you, as overall commander would do. Its up to the unit in the situation to determine if they need or want to surrender. And remember, all military history is full of examples of units surrounded, out of supplies and injured fighting to the last man. Read, "We Were Soldiers Once and Young" for a bunch of recent examples.

Germanboy,

"The pity of war", god that was heavy reading. I couldn't get past the first few chapters, but if you think it's worth it I'll give it another go.

Annist,

Yes there are numerous examples of last stands thoughout military history. But the very reason there are many books written about them is due to the extreme courage and rarity of such actions. I myself am fascinated by the them and the strength of human spirit in such situations.

IPA

Originally posted by IPA:

(I don't think for the allies that penalties under military law would be a major consideration).

IPA

IIRC, General Wainwright fully expected to be court martialled for his surrender of US troops at Corregidor, and was overwhelmed when he was not only exonerated, but invited to accept the Japanese surrender in 1945. One of the few classy things MacArthur did in his career, if you ask me.