If I could only have only ONE new thing in CM2......

We have the summarized wish list for CM2 topic. It seens like there are a lot of good ideas on that topic, however, there probably are far more than BTS could ever put in CM2. I thought it might be interesting to start another related topic,viz. if I could only have ONE new thing in CM2 it would be _______

followed by reasons why.

For me, if I could have only ONE new thing on CM2:

it would be the ability to attach a free text message box to each friendly unit (of course only readable by the owning player).

Why:

I would use this to record verbal orders for the unit, its historical designation, or what I would call the local situational awareness that it has accumulated. I think this would be very useful for us old guys with bad memories (you young guys with good memories probably don't need this.. so be it). When playing long PBEM games sometimes one has to remember tactical info for many weeks (or even longer)in PBEM time. It would be really nice if one could type mental notes into the text window for his various units such as.. that woods up on the top of that hill is crawling with Jerries" so that four weeks (of PBEM time) later when one's next wave of digital warriors shows up eager for a fight they don't run into the same ambush that decimated the first wave and the (say we say)aging mouse wielding commander completely forgot. Also, I think that this feature would enable one to model an aspect of war that is very realistic, i.e. the ability for the various units in the field to be able to verbally pass info onto new units arriving in the area. This feature ought be very easy to add and thus I think it has a high bangs to buck ratio. Thus this would be my "if I could have only one thing in CM2" offing.

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: Midnight Warrior ]

I admit that is a good idea but I mostly just play short games so am not that keen on it. What I would wish for is (Darn this is hard only wishing for one thing. Maybe I'll start a post saying " If you could only ask for Two things in CM2, just kidding.) that the tank turrets could rotate the direction you wanted them to independent of the body. Example" Tank is traveling North and you want the turret to be pointing West or whatever. Now I know that would be easy to allow in the game. They just won't do it because their mean and I'm probably the only one that wants it ! :D

This game is almost perfect to begin with, it is just a great game. So it better be pretty cool addition, and I think it would just be cool to have the Stukas equipped with the "Trumpets of Jericho". I would love to hear those playing as the Germans, and if CM2 starts on June 22, '41, then there should be plenty of sirens in the game. It would be nice too, if any enemy units caught within a 250m radius of the target instantly panic or take cover until the attack is over and maybe a short time past.

I'd like a ROADMOVE command which would let me pick the end point and keep the unit on the road until it gets to the end point. When the road curves, it can require a lot of plotted movements to make the directed unit follow the road.

I know I'm supposed to pick ONE thing, but I'm going to suggest another. When I'm defending in either a quick battle or a scenario, I'd like to let the AI set up my units and then fine tune the AI's positions. The AI can analyze the terrain a lot faster than I can, but I should have the final authority over where they should go.

My with is to have Field of Sight along with LOS.

Why: Because my eyes sometimes don´t see the croocks and cranies of the field and I would like to see all the field of view of a unit. It would be cool too to have different shades in the field indicating the effectiveness of the units weapons, therefore being great for ambushes :D .

Don´t get me wrong I like LOS but you have to drag the poiter in every dirrection when placing defending units. And sometimes you miss something.

PD I also aggree with an earlier reply to have turrets point where we want to.

More control over tanks. For example, ability to tell tanks to ignore leg units and concentrate on armor or anti-tank guns; ability to keep tanks in a user-specified formation; ability to group units and assign hot keys to them for quick access.

If I could only have one thing in CM2, I'd love to be able to copy and paste mapboard artwork from one scenario to another.

Part of my reason for avoiding "wishing" for a playability mod is that I fear that the very easy, convenient playability of CM1 is going to disappear in CM2 under a tonne of options every time you try to give an order. So if I could have a half-wish to tack onto the end of my one and only wish, I'm hoping BTS resists the temptation to make CM2 more complex, and thus reduce the easy level of playability.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dunnee:

nukes. just wanna see a couple battalions instantly incinerated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're already there, but you can only get them as allies in June-July 44 (14" guns have much the effect you want, especially if you get a treeburst).

I'd ask for an AI that can give and receive taunts. That's right, a TauntAI. I can't play against the computer because it doesn't squeal when I kill its tanks, and doesn't mock me when I run a bunch of infantry into an ambush. I don't care if the AI can or can't beat me, I just want it to be more fun to play against.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: chrisl ]