A.I. question regarding smoke

In VT I brought a German squad in fox holes protecting the German right flank under heavy fire. In the last 5 seconds of the round the fox hole area became covered with smoke hidding the squad located there. Numerous playbacks did not reveal where the smoke came from. I assumed that the German troops popped a canister.

Last night in VoT, the damn AI played a dirty trick on me, although I don't know if it was intentional or not. As the Amis, I was pushing a platoon through the town from the hill directly in front of the 1st row of buildings. I had one of the Sherm 105's and an 81mm observer in support.

After initially standing their ground for 1 turn, the Germans started to pull back and popped some smoke (I don't know which one of their units did it). Naturally thinking I had them on the run, I put my platoon in hot pursuit. One turn later, my platoon was shredded as they ran down the road through the smoke screen (my support Sherman and mortar lost LOS due to the smoke) and got caught between 2 squads in the buildings on either side of the road.

End result: 1 dead hq unit, 1 squad wiped out, 1 squad with a panicing survivor, and 1 squad with 2 surrendered GI's. SH*T! It couldn't have been a more by the book way to die alot now. I learned a lot from this battle. Gamey tactics do not work well in CM.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrapGame:

After initially standing their ground for 1 turn, the Germans started to pull back and popped some smoke (I don't know which one of their units did it). Naturally thinking I had them on the run, I put my platoon in hot pursuit. One turn later, my platoon was shredded as they ran down the road through the smoke screen (my support Sherman and mortar lost LOS due to the smoke) and got caught between 2 squads in the buildings on either side of the road.

I learned a lot from this battle. Gamey tactics do not work well in CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, why would you think you had them on the run? Sounds like to me, you ran right into their trap! wink.gif hehe

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Greetings,

I've seen the AI make particularly good use of smoke both defensively and offensively. In VT playing the US my Shermans both would take a shot at the AT Bunker, pop smoke, and back away. When playing VT as the Germans the AI would cover my bunkers with smoke when things started heating up.

I was particulary impressed with my tanks popping smoke on their own accord. I really couldn’t have asked for better performance out of them! Great game!

Regards,

John Wright

john.k.wright@worldnet.att.net

Lee,

I didn't think infantry could drop a smoke screen either. That's why I said I don't know which unit laid the smoke screen. I don't believe I had KO'd any of their mortars yet, but I know for sure I had killed the 150mm. That makes me believe it was a mortar, although I hope it wasn't my own numbnut 81mm observer in support thinking he was doing me a favor. I wish I had the movie to view the field afterwards and see if there were any small craters to indicate mortar fire, but I don't know how to save the individual movies.

Damn impressive game.

CrapGame out

PS - Steve & Charles, my old lady has voodoo dolls of you two, and they have been savagely attacked over the last several days. Just a heads up to look out for falling pianos and stuff like that.