Interesting Pz IV info

Guest KwazyDog

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Thought it might be of interest to some smile.gif

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

I think it shows that the 75L24,L43 and L48 all fired the same HE projectiles as well as the HEAT. The L24 would have a different case than the L43 and L48 of course. The AP round appears different though. It seems the L48 fired the same APCR projectile as the PAK40 (again different case Im sure)

Is that museum on Long Island? It doesnt say in the web site.

Lewis

I could swear that a museum on LI traded a stuart (M5) for that tank with Israel. Maybe I am losing my mind.

Anyway, I think Kwazy has given me even more 'ammo' for my stug wars. Check out how effective the long 75mms are at hard targets WITH HE!!!!

Lewis

That’s right Lewis biggrin.gif. Do you know why it was so effective against hard targets? Because the shell of the StuK/KwK 40 (Sprgr/HE) would dig in further into the hard targets such as pillboxes. The Sprgr from the StuK 37 L/24 would connect with the wall and immediately explode because of lower velocity vs. the L48 shell. Guess which is more useful for killing relatively exposed infantry/PaK and MG nests. I’ll tell you shall I: It’s the lower velocity round, why? Because the higher velocity round will dig in further to mother earth and have its splinter/blast pattern adversely effected.

Quite as its kept that’s why the German Artillery arm had so many Guns such as the K.18 as opposed to going all out with howitzers such as the leFH 10.5cm. But the K.18 although superb at bombarding fortresses or fortified cities such as Stevopol was not as effective in “normal” battle as the lower velocity howitzers. Guess why, I’m sure you know by now biggrin.gif yes the K.18 or 10cm (actually a 10.5cm but it used a cartridge as opposed to shell and charge) had a higher velocity than the leFH 10.5cm. This is true of all artillery Lewis it’s an offshoot of Newton’s clockwork universe called ballistics, which as a veteran like my self, but more importantly an engineer I'm sure you’re quite familiar with. I’m still at a loss as to how you can miss this.