CM Mod Manager Status

The CM Mod Manager (for PC) has gone thru a rigorous test cycle and will be released very shortly.

It comes with the following:

- Mod Manager: to sort, select, and install Mods.

- Mod Maker: to create (package) Mods complete with descriptions, previews (sound and graphic), user-selectable configurations

- Core File copier: instead of installing the base BMP and WAV files from the CM CD, this will create a Core "Mod" with all the base BMP and WAV files.

A short description of the types Mods is probably needed as well.

- A Mod is technically a zip file. There willbe no need to expand these files for CM Mod Manager, it handles the extraction and creation of these zip files.

- Compliant Mod: This is a Mod that was packaged with the Mod Maker, it is a zip file with description, previews, and configurations built in to it. In CM Mod Manager a lit light bulb will mean a compliant Mod.

- Non-Compliant Mod: A non-compliant Mod will still work in CM Mod Manager. This is a Mod that is just a zip file of BMP and WAV files. 90% of the current Mods you download are of this variety.

- Unsupported Mod: This is a Mod that has a bunch of BMP (or WAV) files that you must rename to copy in to your CM Folders. These Mods have no way of working properly in CM Mod Manager. ModManager will just copy the BMP (or WAV) files it finds in the root of the zip to the appropriate CM Folders, without renaming anything.

The goal is, for all the Mod Artists out there, to re-package their Mods with Mod Maker to allow the users a consistent way to d'load, install, preview, and configure their Mods.

[This message has been edited by TwoSheds (edited 12-22-2000).]

I am also very interestd in this mod manager. I am working on a desert TC for the game and it is obvious that the manager can be critical. Esp since it is possible that I will be adding Italians to the mix, they must take the place of Germans as far as uniforms and speech files are concerned.

I will be keeping in eye on the availability of this mod

MikeT

alright folks .....dd's full foliage mod pack, along with my grass and snow,are cm mod manager compatable....with quick comparison prieviews and every thing..

thanks kump for the use of your great comparison shots..

dd

------------------

MAKE IT SHORT AND SWEET THEN GET THE F#$K OUT

For Mac Mod Creators a "Compliant" Mod can actually be created manually, it doesn't really require you use Mod Maker. A compliant Mod has a bunch of BMP, WAV files and a description.txt and info.txt file in it. The description.txt file is just a description of the Mod, and the info.txt file holds all the version, author, preview and options info. To make one manually you just have to open up an existing one and take a peek...

Oo oo, man do we need it. Getting tired of having to pluck through all the files. Does anyone know where a "comprehensive" list of the .bmp files exists, or if it does?

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

going back to pauls' question re: mods made on a mac, how to convert them to this PC format, it was mentioned that there are 2 txt readme files... one for the description, one a preview...

can you elaborate a bit more on that? currently, the author of a mod includes one readme file (txt based), and a jpg preview that shows the mod in-game.. are you supporting this, or is there a new approach in work? is the preview actually part of the preview text file, or ?????

I'd like to discuss this with you, either off line or on-line, so I can ensure that MCM3 at least supports the PC mod manager.. I wont be changing the approach of MCM3, but want to make sure that all the mac users are able to use any mods created with your mod manager.

ideally, I'd love to get some info before you release your mod manager so I can determine what I need to do with MCM3 to ensure compatibility.. I may even be able to add the feature in MCM3 to create a mod package if I can find out the format info, etc, of the file.

thanks, and congrats on getting your mod manager almost finished up! sounds like it will be a pretty nice program... I'll have to check it out using Virtual PC on my mac.

happy holidays to all,

dave

------------------

History is made at night