Terms of Endearment Ethnology

Since there has been a lull waiting for CM release, there has been a few topics (name derivation etc) marking time. I hesitate to ask this as it shows my ignorance, but maybe there are lurkers or newbies that might benefit. I tell my clients that the only dumb question is the unasked one so here goes. redface.gif

In any closely shared culture there develops terms of art, slang, abbrev. etc that distinguish the insiders from the outsiders. Wargaming has it's own as well. While I started wargaming w/ AH's D-Day in about 1963 or so and bought and played them up thrugh Squad Leader (1978 ???) it was catch as catch can without getting into the gaming community except for a brief stint in the Bay area in the late 70's. Thus I haven't been following or involved for quite some period as the current language has developed.

I'd be interested in getting definitions (let's see if even the community at large can agree) of various words, phrases definition, inspeak. Terms like Real time strategy (RTS) PBEM etc usually can be worked out, terms like Grognard etc take longer to puzzle out and are subject to misinterpretation. Also since much of communication (least my experience) is over the computer rather than face to face (FTF?) you don't get a chance as much to refine your understanding.

So if you're inclined to create a thread repository of wargaming terms, just post. smile.gif

Here's a few that I've seen people have trouble with:

JABO:{g}fighter-bomber.(soldier slang)

AFV:armoured fighting vehicle

LOL:{bbs slang}laughing out loud

IIRC:{same}if i recall correctly

IMHO :{same}in my humble opinion

Grognard:refering to a soldier of Napoleons

home gaurd:the "grumblers"basically,an old

"hardcore"gamer.

Oh yeah...SYCHOPHANT:toadie..associated

historically with informing against the

illegal importation of figs from ancient

athens.(plutarch)

cant get rid of smilies.....

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 04-13-2000).]

Guest Gunnerdream

Then there is the infamous RPG.

Role Playing Game

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Rarified Potato Gin

Radical Pivoting Gambit

Raised Point Grade

Rum Pistachio Granola

Red Polyester Garter

Rambling Pointless Gab (Which applies to my post) smile.gif

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...in desperate need of a life...