does a tank round get changed in mid shot?

i mean, does a tank aiming at an unarmored target(loading a HE) and then switching to engage another tank fire off that HE? or is it magically an armor round? i never saw a situation where that has happened but was wondering if anyone had...

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Nope, the loader has to take the HE round out of the tube and slam in an AT round. You'll notice that they have to reload before they shoot the tank if they were shooting at inf last.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

IRL, depending on the urgency of the situation of course, the HE round would have been shot at the armoured target and then the AT round slammed in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tero:

IRL, depending on the urgency of the situation of course, the HE round would have been shot at the armoured target and then the AT round slammed in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's probably what I would've done.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I know that in the training for Steel Beasts you're told that once a round is loaded it gets fired, so if you change your mind about what you need you're stuck with the previous loading until you actually fire it and the loader can put in a new round.

Of course, this is modern warfare, but I'd figure that it would be the same in WWII(there must be some sort of saftey mechanism that you'd remove I assume, which would make it dangerous to be pulling rounds out of the gun if they weren't fired).

Anyone know what the SOP was for this in WWII?

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

I may be dead wrong but it sure seems like tanks can switch ammo magicily. They "SEEM" to go stright from engaging infantry to tanks in zero measurable time.

My experience is there is a "reload" done instead of firing the inappropriate round.

I've lost a number of gun and tanks when they have switched targets and have taken an extraordinarily long time to engage it with the main gun.

IRL, we were taught that once you start engaging targets, you fire off the "unwanted" round and then reload the gun with the desired round. This is as much for safety reasons as for a speedy reload. You don't want that round cooking off in your hands after sitting in the hot breech! Of course, our shell casings were combustible, unlike those in wwII. IIRC, there was still a danger of a round cooking off with the old metal casings too.

------------------

"Gun damaged are rare on Shermans because they die like red shirts on Star Trek" - Slapdragon

Have any of you guys seen a tank letting off a HE round at a open toped tank or half track. It only happens when the tank runs out of AP ammo but when it happens it gives a masive explosion and almost always takes the target out, you wanna see a Hummel go up after a direct HE hit!

------------------

A country is only as good as the Twat who leads it.