Area Fire peculiarity

I'm having one squad lay down suppressing fire into a house which I'm not sure is occupied or not (it's midnight and snowing), while I have another squad run into that house. The field manual has this to say about area fire

"Area fire usually lasts until the order is cancelled by the player. However, area fire will be automatically stopped if a friendly unit enters the target zone ...."

Fine, that's why I did what I did. Problem is, the squad laying down the suppression kept firing into the house even when my other squad was the only unit in there. Result? One dead soldier. Now I have to write his parents and tell how brave he was in his last minutes when it was his own comrade that killed him frown.gif. Bug or Fog of war? The squad laying down the suppression had a LOS into the house, but like I said, visibility was like 60m or so, so is it possible he lost track of his own squadmates when they went into the house?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I have whined piteously about similar issues, and someone (?) assured me this was addressed in 1.03, one way or another.

Like when you tell the doctor "it hurts when I do that" and he says "don't do that"... I rest patiently and easily in anticipation.

It just keeps getting better!

I believe that the suppresion fire only stops if the suppressing unit has LOS and can see the other unit moving in. So if your other unit is moving in from the back of the house they will keep firing until they see your other unit. So it doesn't automaticaly stop when a friendly units enters the area, only when the firing unit can see the unit enter the area.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

In CM infantry units aren't automatons.

The more experienced they are the more likely they are to keep firing until the last possible moment but stop just in time to prevent friendly fire casualties.

Personally I see no problem with green soldiers being so caught up in suppressing the enemy that they don't notice when friendlies enter the FOF and gun them down also.

Moral of the story, suppress the hell out of the enemy but unless your troops are good quality try not to be area firing WHILE your guys are assaulting that house.

Personally I never use area fire on a house I'm assaulting for just this reason.