Windows Me vs 98SE

I searched but didnt find a satisfying answer.

Has anyone 'upgraded' to Windows Me from Windows 98 SE and seen a frame rate increase? All other variables remaining the same. I have read on several sites that 3d games.. glide or D3D have frame rate increase when run under Windows Me. Even 5 fps would do wonders on a huge map - thanks.

------------------

The only thing new in the world is the history you don't know - HS Truman

There is no speed increase with Windows Me over Windows 98SE. Tomshardware, among others, did extensive tests and found a 1 - 2 FPS decrease in most applications. Unfornuately, Windows Me can also cause some other unwanted side effects. This new version has a system backup feature that has the annoying habit of eating up huge amounts of your hard drive. Worse, even when the system restore feature is disabled it will sometimes toggle itself back on.

I replaced my version of Windows 98 with Me. There is very little difference that you can see. No major enhancements to IE or Outlook Express. I did some tests on my own and found that Windows Me is consistantly using about 3-5% more system resources than my previous version. So far I have not found a solution to the disappearing hard drive feature that's built in.

From a performance point of view there is no advantage.