Sighting/Ambush Bug!

I'm playing a PBEM right now where I had moved my bazooka team into a foxhole once dug by a now deceased mortar crew. I remained there about 5-6 turns unspotted by the enemy. I gave them an Ambush target order and waited for his tank.

All of a sudden, 2 turns later, the German tank saw my zook team and killed them without even moving closer to my position.

What makes this even stranger is that my opponent said he could see the line leading up to my ambush marker.

I think this situation needs to be re-created so someone can find out what this bug is.

------------------

Yeah, but in Close Combat...

What happened was that your 'zook team got spotted and killed. Where they hiding or did you just have them sitting there with them targeting an ambush point?

If they are not hiding they can be spotted eventually. That is what happened.

But you ARE right about observing the ambush target line. I also have observed this in games.

For instance: I spotted some infantry in some woods I was approaching. During my orders phase I could of coarse still see the infantry in the woods but I ALSO could see the ambush target line drawn to the point they were going to ambush. Wierd. I just chalked it up that my men saw the ambush and this let me know that it was an ambush.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 10-11-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What happened was that your 'zook team got spotted and killed. Where they hiding or did you just have them sitting there with them targeting an ambush point?

If they are not hiding they can be spotted eventually. That is what happened.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, my zook team was in a foxhole in some trees and hadn't moved in 6 turns. Nor had his tank moved closer to them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

But you ARE right about observing the ambush target line. I also have observed this in games.

For instance: I spotted some infantry in some woods I was approaching. During my orders phase I could of coarse still see the infantry in the woods but I ALSO could see the ambush target line drawn to the point they were going to ambush. Wierd. I just chalked it up that my men saw the ambush and this let me know that it was an ambush.

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I chalked mine up to a bug. How's that for realism?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

No, my zook team was in a foxhole in some trees and hadn't moved in 6 turns. Nor had his tank moved closer to them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't matter, unless they are actually "Hiding" they can be spotted. What you should do in the future is set up the ambush marker, target it, and THEN tell the unit to hide. They will automatically unhide when a target moves into the ambush area. Doing this makes spotting your unit ALOT harder.

Jeff

Thanks, I'm not sure whether I told my zook team to hide again or not after targeting the ambush marker.

The fact still remains though that my enemy could see the line going from my unit to the ambush marker itself which is clearly a bug. Suffice to say, I'm not gonna be ambushing anything until they get this thing fixed.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Thanks, I'm not sure whether I told my zook team to hide again or not after targeting the ambush marker.

The fact still remains though that my enemy could see the line going from my unit to the ambush marker itself which is clearly a bug. Suffice to say, I'm not gonna be ambushing anything until they get this thing fixed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DeadMarsh,

Yeah, but you can only SEE the ambush target line AFTER you have spotted the unit. Therefore your ambush is blown anyway. wink.gif

Jeff