can somebody explain tank MGs.

I have noticed at least 3 types of machine guns on tanks: bow, flexible, and co-axial.

I assume the flexible is an AA weapon, and cannot be fired when buttoned up. Is this correct.

bow and co axial: are these both directed towards the front of the tank? can they be fired when buttoned? what do the numbers in parentheses that follow these MGs in the unit description mean? ammo left?

anything else I should know about these weapons?

Hey,

Yeah, flex mounts are attached to the commander's cupola and are for AA.

Bow MGs are located in the hull (the ball mount MGs you see on the front of most tanks).

Coaxial MGs are mounted in the mantlet alongside the main gun. They aim wherever the turret aims.

And, finally, yes, the number in parantheses is the ammo for each weapon.

Hope that helps.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

One other note. The Bow MGs do have and firing arc other than straight ahead, so the hull doesn't have to be pointed in the exact direction of the target for the bow MG to fire at it.

------------------

All that sleeps, awakens...

All that awakens, hungers...

All that hungers, feeds...

Here's a question I was wondering about - if the Gun on your tank is damaged, is the co-axial damaged too? Do you need to unbutton your tank to fire the co-axial?

Thanks in advance!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Here's a question I was wondering about - if the Gun on your tank is damaged, is the co-axial damaged too?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In real life, probably. I think (I'm guessing here) in the game, certainly.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Do you need to unbutton your tank to fire the co-axial?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Gunner fires that from his station within the turret.

Michael

Just thought I'd add one more point.

Some StuG's have a remote flexible gun which is mounted like a flexible AA gun but is controlled remotely so it can be fired while buttoned.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

I do belive that it was the Hetzer, which had the remote controlled machingun.

One question, does the game take into account that machine guns on a vehicle has a better firing platform than dismounted MG's.

It seems that my crews are unable to hit anything with either the bow, coaxial or the commanders machinegun.

Why is that?

------------------

In god we trust, the rest we monitor...

von Schalburg

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I do belive that it was the Hetzer, which had the remote controlled machingun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Partially correct. The Hetzer and the late model StuG G both have the remote controlled MG. It is of limited offensive value due to the restricted nature of ammo supply. This is why you will rarely see these MGs fire in any role other than self defense.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>One question, does the game take into account that machine guns on a vehicle has a better firing platform than dismounted MG's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I am not sure. I think they aren't MORE accurate than a team weapon though. Although a more stable platform in a stationary position, they had more restricted views of the target than a team outside in the open. I would also think that an MG team would have more delicate control over aiming than at least the coax, if not the bow as well.

Steve