D-Day : Moment of Silence

A moment of remembrance, then.

Imagine charging out of a landing craft into a wall of **** and a cold ocean sucking at your feet.

Imagine how cool and noble it seemed when you signed up to kill some Nazis and meet some French girls, and now here you are listening to the little hornets of death, watching a buddy get hit, picturing your family safe at home on the porch, and pretty sure you're not going to see them anymore.

We owe these people.

I doubt it was much more fun for the Wehrmacht troops getting hammered on the beach by what must have seemed like 3 whole navies and 2 whole air forces, watching landing craft out to the horizon and doing the math in their heads, knowing their families would soon be at the mercy of this pitiless horde or the one at their backs (if their families weren't already buried and incinerated in rubble).

It was some serious scheisse.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I doubt it was much more fun for the Wehrmacht troops getting hammered on the beach by what must have seemed like 3 whole navies and 2 whole air forces, watching landing craft out to the horizon and doing the math in their heads, knowing their families would soon be at the mercy of this pitiless horde or the one at their backs (if their families weren't already buried and incinerated in rubble).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

now, reading that, i must think of an old movie i have seen some time ago... where one of the guys in the bunkers is wathching the ocean, spotting the allied armada, phoning his CO that there are 1000s of ships out there.. and the CO telling him that the allied don't have 1000s of ships, and that in fact they dont have many battleships at all...

well.. the CO hangs up, and the rumble started...

then the CO remembered something and phoned back.. asking what that noise was that made understanding the phone next to impossible.. and the bunker guy cries "That are your non-existent allied battleships bombarding our coastline" ....

well... sure I dont want to change place with one of the Guys in the landing crafts.. but i dont want to change place with one of the defenders either... especially during the shelling...

must have felt like armageddon.. i am curious if some of them already kept watching for the apocalyptic riders?`

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It was some serious scheisse.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well.. you are right.. very right...

big, damping scheisse...

------------------

-- TargetDrone

who doesn't want to draw attention...

especially from guys with big guns ...

Tremedous Movie. Do believe it was "The longest day" The other one that is very historically correct is "A bridge to far".

Anytime you guys want to see how much our families sacrifices are still appreciated go over to the Netherlands. Was at the Memorial service on the 28th in the American cemetary in a place called Margratten in southern Limburg.

Guest Madmatt

That movie you mention is The Longest Day and that German officers last name is Pluzkat (sp?) who IIRC survived the war and his recollections are in the Cornilious Ryan book of the same name.

Madmatt

uh oh, is my Grog showing?

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-06-2000).]

There is it again: This bad feeling i have when i have to realize again that the whole war was "serious scheisse" at least from the ordinary soldiers point of view and than playing a game of it just for fun.

Anyone else discovered this strange feeling or is it just me in bad mood?

thomasj, madmatt: You are both right, now i remeber .. it was "Der längste Tag - the longest day"

guess i have to see that movie again.. i *should* have it somewhere on video still

schugger: seems to me like bad mood, but i can assure you, that will change again soon...

and, dont feel too bad about it.. what happened happened, and i guess this is just another way to keep it in mind, right?

(i always favored other ways to handle national conflicts... like letting the presidents engage in a boxing fight or duell... or fighting the whole war virtually over the Inet... i guess in that case i would join the army biggrin.gif )

------------------

-- TargetDrone

who doesn't want to draw attention...

especially from guys with big guns ...

[This message has been edited by TargetDrone (edited 06-06-2000).]

Want to get a real feeling of the situation these guys went through? Take the time someday and visit the areas from the Belgium border all the way past, Eindhoven, Nijmwegen, Arnhem. Not much really war wise to see other then the terrain XXX Corp had to deal with on that single road to get to Arnhem for the relief of the British 1st Airborn Division. Not to mention the hell the Airborn guys were going through.

I also paused to remember the guys who hit the beachs on d-day all those years ago..

What sticks in my mind is the scene in SPR when the gang plank on the landing craft dropped down, and we all know what happened then.

That scene and what followed honestly put me into a kind of shock when I saw it at the movies for the first time. I reckon my jaw was hitting the floor, I know I was crouching in my chair to instinctively take "cover" from the surround sound bullets but what was the outstanding thing was the panic I was feeling for those guys. My brain was shouting "do something, do something!" as they huddled behind the pitifully small cover the landing craft obstacles offered them..My girlfriend cried and I did'nt really talk to anyone for about 3 days. No-one ever deserves to be put through that kind of ****. SPR is the only video I have ever bought to keep, more of a reminder that war sucks,but playing war(CM) can be cool.

It's kind of eerie, enjoying playing so much something that represents something so terrible. Still, I reckon I can live with myself. Hats off to the veterans!