Objective houses

Greetings Gents,

I have a question re: objective houses.

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but the way i understand it being in possesion of an objective (house, ridge, etc..) will allow you to control a section of the battlefield.

But what happens when an objective house is destroyed? Does it still retain its 'status'?

For example:

I'm currently playing a PBEM game (LD as the Amis). There is a two story OBJ house on the U.S. right just behind the wall. My opponent (SS PL) must not have cared for the decor because he flattened it with HE. Well, i noticed that the OBJ flag remained even though there is nothing more than a pile of rubble.

There are two story bldgs on either side of the OBJ house. What would happen if the Germans moved MG teams on the upper floors of these 2 bldgs while i retained possesion of the rubble/OBJ? Would i still receive victory points even though in reality i do not control that section of the battlefield?

Guest Madmatt

As I understand it and from my experience building scenarios, the objectives are NOT assigned to buildings as such but to the tract of land that the building occupies. So in your example, even if the building was rubbled it would still be a valid object area. This makes sense if you put into to context. In most scenarios in games the objective for a town is usually the CENTER of the town. This represents that the town itself (as a whole) is an objective and not just the buildings within. Its the tactical position and road network and access of advance that possesion of a town gives someone which is important and not the pretty Beer-Haus o nthe corner with the well endowed bar maid.

Also, you could have a unit dead center on a victory flag (just a waving that baby for all its worth), but if your opponet has substantial forces nearby then the flag will be considered contested (all gray) with no points going to either side or worse the enemy may be considered in control. You have to break away from the hex based MY VP mode of thinking with CM as its not that cut and dry. IIRC the game looks at all the units nearby (not sure how near is nearby though) and determines the combat effectiveness of all the units (I think this may be based on firepower but not sure). The side with the greatest amount of effectiveness is considered to be 'in control' of the objective and will gain the points that you mentioned. And you dont have to be RIGHT ON a flag area to be considered 'in control' either.

I guess you can think of it as power projection. If you can project enough (fire?)power into the area of a Objective Flag then the game will rightfully give you the flag and the points. However, if you decide to advance beyond and don't leave any covering force the flag can and will revert to uncontested status (no points to anyone) or could potentially slip into the enemies control if they can mobolize significant forces to get around behind you.

Ok, so I used allot of words to answer a pretty simple question but VP's and Flags have been covered a great deal and its a rather complex way that CM handles them. There are also different TYPES of Flags but I will leave that for another time... wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 04-27-2000).]

Matt,

Although i found your answer very helpful i must disagree on one very important point:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Its the tactical position and road network and access of advance that possesion of a town gives someone which is important and not the pretty Beer-Haus o nthe corner with the well endowed bar maid.

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, any bldg with a well-endowed bar maid should be considered an objective to be stormed and held at all cost!

Guest Madmatt

Black Sabot,

Ahh haaa, you make a classic military blunder. You have thrown the men of your command into a situation where they will be wasted. While I agree that maintaining a presence in a locale with a "well-endowed barmaid" is a neccesity, surly you could see where such an operation would best be compartmentalized and declared a 'Black Op'. So black and covert that it should only be performed by the highest member of your command staff, namely: YOU

Why waste precious lives of your troops when the ability to achieve this valuable objective is well within your personal grasp?

The task will be dangerous! German barmaids were often armed with the devestating 44D Big Bertha Rack Mountable Nahverterboobies.

I don't need to tell you the specs on those! wink.gif

Just be carefull and be sure to take your time. A premature engagement usually will just infuriate the enemy and leave your own position...flacid eek.gif

Good Luck Soldier! Get in there and FIGHT!

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Matt,

Point well taken. If i do find myself in that situation i will send my men off to capture less valuble objectives like bridges, crossroads, etc...while i "infiltrate" Helga's bunker!

BTW, considering the access you have to the vast array of German military photos, do you have any for the dreaded 44d Big Berthas? I'm sure the guys would appreiciate a POTD of them wink.gif

Guest Madmatt

It's funny you should mention that as This Weeks Max Molinaro pictures shows something very very similar. And well known too, I will post this tomorrow night (friday)...

Matt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net