Problem with changed Mac Sounds

When I change the sound resources in the Gold Demo I get a lot of distrotion during gameplay. Is there any reason for this? I have gone through every single sound and there is no distortion in any of them, so why does it occur during the game?

I think it's a memory thing. Try setting the preferred memory to a much larger number. I've noticed the same problem, and usually it happens when theres a whole lot going on (smoke, lots of infantry running around, gunfire everywhere, screaming wounded etc.) Usually if I close a bunch of things and relaunch CM everything is fine (I have a lot of memory, but I also tend to edit very large files, so usually word and powerpoint are set to 60 meg or more.). I think I've got CM set to 60 meg now, and when I launch it with enough space available the sounds are ok (105 mm artillery in VoT is downright frightening if you're watching it from view 1 on the receiving end-- it freaked out the cats, too).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MuaHaHaHa:

I gave CM 128MB of RAM and it still happened.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you changing the sounds to/with? Do you ever get distortion with the original sounds? (I don't have any more ideas, but I'd like to be able to change sounds without distortion too).

I have sometimes had sound & video problems, with other programs, when virtual memory was enabled. Try disabling VM and see if that makes any difference.

[This message has been edited by pford (edited 06-19-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MuaHaHaHa:

I am using CoolColJ's Enhanced Audio MOD and I get distortion with that but not the original sounds. It is not the actual sounds containing the distortion though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The distortion that I get when I don't have enough memory sometimes sounds as if things are being slowed way down, and other times as if the sounds are being resampled at a much lower frequency in playback, so they get all choppy and weird. Occasionally it just sounds like it's clipping. When I relaunch CM it's usually just fine.