DYO - 1000 Point limit...WHY?

Is there a specfic reason why there's a limit of 1000 points in the DYO? If I remember correctly (and it's been a while so don't hold me to these numbers!)then a single KT cost around 200 points. That would mean if one player chose 5 KT's he'd be maxed out. Now what I primarily want to do with this game is kinda like a mini CMMC against my friend. In other words we would need the capability to create battles in the DYO (can't use scenario editor since it wouldn't be blind anymore) where we could purchase battalion size +support units. But something tells me that that would go over 1000 points.

Coments? Am I missing something here? smile.gif

Thanks,

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

The defender maxes out at 1000 points. In an "Assault" battle, the attacker gets more than double the points to spend that the defender does (and this can be further doubled by handicapping). So while your typical defending force might be "limited" smile.gif to 5 King Tigers, the attacker could have up to 20 or so! eek.gif

Commanders who need more than 20 King Tigers to get the job done should be given a stern lecture on the efficient use of limited armored resources. wink.gif

Charles

p.s. Capn Manieri - the points are for use in "Quick Battles" where the scenario is generated according to parameters you set, and you "buy" your forces by spending "points".

Now everybody just keep your panties on. tongue.gif Soon you all will have the game in your hands and will have many of your worth while questions answered. Not to mention much more informed questions. Plus Steve and Charles will surely make adjustments as needed to keep the majority of us happy. smile.gif don't forget to put the manual under your pillow so you will be able to absorb all the information that much faster. biggrin.gif

Tony

Here's a suggestion - use the scenario editor to set up the terrain desired, but with no units. Since you can see all the terrain as soon as the battle starts anyway, there is no loss of blindness. Then, each of you select what units you want, counting up the points yourselves on paper. E-mail both lists (without looking at each other's, of course) along with the unitless map to someone who will then place those units on the map, save off the finished scenario, and send a copy back to each of you - thus, a map where you have whatever units you picked, but neither knows the other's units.. Seems like it would work, anyway.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

[...]we could purchase battalion size +support units. But something tells me that that would go over 1000 points.

[...]

It all depends what nation you're playing, and when. Some of those German units in 1945 might just fit in at about 1000 points... and so would the British airborne near the end of Operation Market Garden.

I know I'm going outside the bounds of your question, but when they say for example that the 2nd SS Division was somewhere, maybe it's just the size of a battalion by the time it gets to where you want to play.

The survival rate on all sides was pretty low, as far as I know. frown.gif

I am one of those who want to put two battalions against each other or more, how are we ever going to add a strategic outlook to things. The Web campaign is good but I want to do this with only ONE opponent, no referee needed. ASL couldn't do it so my friend and I had to make up our own rules. The strategic scale is outside the bounds of CM so we will have to make up something to accommodate the bigger picture. I am sure someone will come up with something, it's inevitable I think.

The reason I harp on this is because I want to reproduce Operation Market Garden as much as possible. Many of the things that could have been done better (or worse) during that campaign were just due to flukes, bold creative moves or mistakes/lack of initiative at the strategic level.

Once you are in a bind because of bizarre strategic decisions, or just because of coincidence, there are fewer possible outcomes. It's fun to play CE or VT to death (OK, that was a bad choice of words, esp. when I am the one getting trounced), but I want to know what would have happened if the Panther had been there from the very beginning, if the VT reinforcements appeared on a map side instead of behind the US troops, or if the StuGs in CE had circled around and appeared BEHIND the US column, or on the side of the map.

(sorry, I'm rambling I better go sleep again. Why do we have to sleep more than once a week?) <yawn>