Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

BTS, just an idea for CM2 scenery.

I was thinking (again) and came up with this idea. It is a mere thought so don't flame me if this is stupid just tell me I'm wrong. Anyway here goes...

1.) Because the main problem, IMO, with CMBO is that scenery can become a bit linear, why not 'contract' out the design of some of the buildings etc that may be found in CM2. I mean as you build the game, put a list here of buildings, textures that you are working on and let mod makers try their own textures if they want to. This way you could get a massive selection of different buildings etc. and then choose which can enter the game based on your own criteria i.e. whether that farm building is Russian enough, appropriate for time etc.

It would add a lot of textures without you having to do all the work. You might even pay a small fee for any textures you do use, but again that is your choice. Hopefully we would have diverse cities and countryside.

2.) Have area specific scenery, i.e. Orthodox Churches are very different to German ones so create a geographically specific scenery like when fighting in different parts of Russia, Russian scenery sets, and while in Germany, Poland, different scenery sets, althoug obviously some buildings etc would be the same.

What ya reckon?

I think the process of bitmap modding works well as it is right now. So I wouldn't be surprised if the textures in CM2 are of the same quality as CMBO (which BTW was not bad at all, especially the vehicles).

The main change re/scenery that I would like to see in CM2 is more 3d models, rather than the simple boxy building. I understand it might pose LOS problems having to cater for more complex buildings, but I would consider it crucial to urban scenery building.

Of course it would be even greater if there was a mechanism for multiple bitmaps per building, based on the scenario requirements. This would satisfy Lordfluffers's request for different churches etc.

That'll be cool!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

The main change re/scenery that I would like to see in CM2 is more 3d models, rather than the simple boxy building. I understand it might pose LOS problems having to cater for more complex buildings, but I would consider it crucial to urban scenery building.

Of course it would be even greater if there was a mechanism for multiple bitmaps per building, based on the scenario requirements. This would satisfy Lordfluffers's request for different churches etc.

That'll be cool!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree Coralsaw,

I don't doubt that CM2's textures will be fantastic. What I'm talking a bout is diversity. If Charles and Steve don't actually have time to do lets say 20 rural houses, but can only manage to do 4 or 5 (I don't know how many there are now), this would be a brilliant way to increase the number of buildings available. I'm imagining each map has loads of different building textures so you dont keep coming across the same ones all the time. Imagine Panzertruppens and Magua's buildings but twice or three times the number, everything would look diverse in the map.

Let me put it another way, instead of having ten light buildings on a map that are divided into one of two or three textures, there are nine or ten possible light building textures to choose from so each building on this map would be unique.

This would just be a way for BTS to increase the final number of textures in the game. If any of the submitted ones don't fit, BTS can choose not to use them. At least there should be the possibility to add textures later on like there was for snow.

I don't think I'm communicating this very well, let me know if I don't make sense, or if you disagree.

(Haha I'm getting known for my supposed Church obsession. I only want them so I can destroy em wink.gif)

[This message has been edited by Lordfluffers (edited 11-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lordfluffers:

2.) Have area specific scenery, i.e. Orthodox Churches are very different to German ones so create a geographically specific scenery like when fighting in different parts of Russia, Russian scenery sets, and while in Germany, Poland, different scenery sets, althoug obviously some buildings etc would be the same.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like this idea. Specific building and terrain sets for different areas of the conflict.

You got it, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that what you've just mentioned about vid memory is what Steve and Charles will say. Still, here's hoping. If its not possible it would be cool to have extra slots like with the winterized vehicles etc, for people to build mods and add them into scenery instead of just replacing them. (BTW that was a quick response! Coral)

Guest Madmatt

And I think everyone needs to realize that unlike CM we now have full time employee by the name of Kwazydog that will be shouldering the artistic burdens for CM2.

We don't need to contract out for more artwork as in our opinion we already hired the best graphic artist out there! Lets put an end to this constant demand that someone else do the graphics before you even see texture one from CM2. I find it more than a little insulting to Dan.

The graphics quality in CMBO were set by us, not the contributing artists. With the higher baseline video requirement in CM2 it will no longer be such a hinderance.

As to the added diversity and geographical specific regions, we have already been discussing that as a possibility.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

And I think everyone needs to realize that unlike CM we now have full time employee by the name of Kwazydog that will be shouldering the artistic burdens for CM2.

The graphics quality in CMBO were set by us, not the contributing artists. With the higher baseline video requirement in CM2 it will no longer be such a hinderance.

As to the added diversity and geographical specific regions, we have already been discussing that as a possibility.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool... Kzazy's doing the artwork. I can't wait. Thanks MadMatt, I didn't know he was in on the design team. CM2 will be fantastic.

Ah what the hell, here is my little ideer as well....since you guys set it up for winter textures for CM1 even though you didn't create them for the game release, could you do the same thing for a wet/muddy ground conditions?I am not saying you work Kwazydog to death, just put the option out there....I love the idea of mud covered mark III's and PSW's trudging through the rasputitsa...... smile.gif

------------------

"Life is pain. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something."

How are 3-D models done for CM? If it's something that people with a proficiency in graphic design, like many of this community's active mod makers have, then I think CM 2 would benefit from accepting player building models. Obviously you'd have to screen out the bad ones but that could deal handily with the desire for more detailed and varied buildings. I'd love to see a more diverse selection of buildings for CM 2. I'll bet dollars to donuts that as soon as CM 2 comes out well be seeing plenty of player made scenarios depicting part of Stalingrad. Extra buildings could only help there.