Commonwealth Tactics - Refugee post

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

The point of your quote seems to be largely an operational one I would be interested in knowing your view of it's relevance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The relevance would be that in designing scenarios involving Canadians in Normandy, a "balanced" force should be avoided. They will either be tank heavy (rarely), infantry-heavy (much more common), and almost always have insufficient off-map artillery assets, despite adequate availability, due to poor operational usage.

As a Canadian, I'm a voice in the wilderness when I suggest that the Canadian Army in Europe was not the elite fighting force legend has built it up to be. There were hard fights to be sure, and some notable successes, but overall performance was certainly below that of their allies.

Formerly Babra,

You aren't the only Canadian who feels that way. I must say reading John English's "Failure in High Command" was an eye opening experience. He paints a very different performance picture than the Canadian Corps in the first world war.

Michael Reynold's dedication in "Steel Inferno" sums it up well:To all who fought with honour in Normandy in 1944- many of them deserved better commanders.

Slightly off topic but: Given the weaknesses outlined in English's book, how much worse off is the Canadian army today given the general level of professionalism in our officer corp. I believe we have more general officers today than during WW2 and few have any experience commanding large formations. frown.gif

On a tactical level though, I would say the Canadians acquited themselves quite well.

I am expecting the arrival any day now of the official history of the Cdn army in WW2 which I have managed to purchase (unfortunately not cheaply) and plan on creating many a scenario. It is a real pity that this book has been out of print for 30 yrs. I will probably concentrate on The Scheldt initially.

Chris

(waiting with bated breath for CM's release)

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris talpas:

I am expecting the arrival any day now of the official history of the Cdn army in WW2 which I have managed to purchase (unfortunately not cheaply) and plan on creating many a scenario. It is a real pity that this book has been out of print for 30 yrs. I will probably concentrate on The Scheldt initially.

Chris

(waiting with bated breath for CM's release)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which one is that? The Stacey book? I'm currently reading that, our library has a copy.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Which one is that? The Stacey book? I'm currently reading that, our library has a copy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Germanboy,

Yes it is the 3 volume set by Stacey

Volume I is entitled

'Six Years of War: The Army in Canada, Britain and the Pacific', Volume II

is entitled 'The Canadians in Italy, 1943-1945' and Volume III is entitled

'The Victory Campaign: The Operations in North-West Europe, 1944-1945

Yes this set is available at the University Library but I wanted a copy for handy reference.

Chris

[This message has been edited by chris talpas (edited 06-14-2000).]