CM up at Epinions.com

Hey, all. Finally got CM listed and my review posted at http://www.epinions.com/game-Combat_Mission .

If you're not familiar with it, this is a forum where customers and users rate their favorite "stuff" of all types, and it has a very active games section.

You can review my review! Pan it, tell me all the cool stuff I forgot, and generally bang the CM drum in public! I wrote the thing a while back and forgot what I actually wrote.

I should point out that there is a powerful financial motive, as each comment on my review "earns" me 1 cent (US) in some kind of credit for something. If 1000 of you read and comment, maybe I can buy a 12 of Molson's...

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 05-23-2000).]

Just thought I'd bring this back up to the top.

It's not the money, and it ain't Hemingway, but as SSPL and others have pointed out, a little publicity's the least we can do for the game.

Make some noise!

Found the same thing this AM. It's been up since.

They were physically moving their offices on Friday, which may have something to do with it. I have had to follow up a little bit ("gentle pressure, relentlessly applied") and this was one of the hold ups.

Hang in there and thanks for trying.

HEY- I see ya there now- good work.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 05-22-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

Just thought I should bring this one up to the front again (no pun intended).

There are now three reviews (four once mine comes), one of them quite negative and about 20 or so people have posted their opinions. Go there, give your opinion on the reviews (you don't have to write one), and help make CM a success. I am completely selfish in this, I want this game to do well so that Steve and Charles have an incentive to produce CM2-5.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Guest Germanboy

Mk IV,

how long do they take to post an opinion?

------------------

Andreas

Thanks for your support. It took 2 weeks to get it listed in the first place. I think follow-ups are within 24 hours.

I posted a short, polite comment to "Grogboy's" opinion. Unfortunately his opinion, which was quite negative, carries excessive weight since there are only 3 opinions up so far (4 when yours goes up).

This is why it's important that the rest of the community support the review sites. The smaller the bunch, the easier for one apple to spoil it...

Here's what he said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have tried the Gold Demo. It is good shareware but it is not up to standards in interface or graphics for a main line game. I found the stop action very, uh, stop and go. The special effects animations were terrible.

I hate games that have bird song in them when fighting is going on. Too much like Close Combat#.

I did like the theme and the tank graphics. They were very nice.

The infantry was less than pretty. The weapons selection was limited for the games time span.

Over all I would say it is a good first attempt at a game of this type. I am hoping they can do some cool graphics for CM2.

I also do not like games companies that do not allow for returns in the game purchase contract. They should stand by the game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please, no flames.

OK, Mark IV, reinforcing comments from me are on the way. I've now read your review, and you are forewarned that I don't agree 100% with your comments there. But for the most part, you've captured most of the important points in a good nutshell.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spook:

I've now read your review, and you are forewarned that I don't agree 100% with your comments there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. I am deeply suspicious of people who agree with 100% of my comments (doesn't come up very much). Supporting CM is the important thing, as it is fresh meat for the grinder and more $$$ for the development of CM 82, "The Franco-Prussian War" (I can't wait to get behind a mitrailluese).

Germanboy: You're up now!

Thanks to all.

Sorry, MarkIV, Epinions is giving me a hissy fit and won't let me "log in" for some reason or another. (I want to put thumbscrews on the guy who designed the member registration for that site right now!!!) I'll have to try again later today or this week.

Guest Germanboy

They sure do have problems with their Epinion website. I just posted the second comment on Grogboys review, and it told me I was the first to comment.

Oops, is the thread at the start again now? D'uh...

------------------

Andreas

Aligato.

We've got 6 reviews up there now and an 83% approval rating- not bad considering the one pan job. There was one 4-star rating, a nicely written and favorable piece which was just a might conservative for the faithful. It's been interesting to see what I DID leave out.

Still looking for Spook to set me straight...

Hey I believe taht grog guy was one of the guys that slammed CM somewhere else - seems funny he is going around the sites to make sure he slams it every where-

If i don't like a game I may post an opinion about it once but repetitively? Seems like someone with a beef to me -

Does anyone else go around and waste time posting about a game they hate at several sites? I'm interested in some feedback here as this strikes me as odd.

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Her is what Grog said at www.downloads.com

Quote:

"Uhhhh, it ain't that hot"

The effects graphics are terrible. The tanks are cool. The men move like zombies. The maps are to tile like looking. It is good shareware now but would have been a great game five years ago.

Notice both threads mention shareware and dislike the infantry, and attack the special effects

even though one is by grogboy and one by grog

Guys I say nicely demote his opinion on that site smile.gif That is our right at Epinions smile.gif Don't flame him tho eek.gif

Too much coincedence for me

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Guest Big Time Software

You guys rule. smile.gif

This is exactly the sort of grass-roots support we need to get the word out. Thanks again.

Charles

Guest hunt52

{Devious Mode On}

Do you want those of us with high bandwidth connections to download multiple copies from sites that rank by popularity to keep CM in the forefront?

{Devious Mode Off}

- Bill

13 reviews now, including mine own. Since Mk IV seemed to have covered the technical shell rather well, I went more for the "paper-back blurb" style of review.

Oh, and I rated your review Mk IV --- lemme know when you get enough E-pfenigs to buy everybody a round!

SSPL you are obviously right (pity).

My favorite negative review at download.com was the guy (anonymous) who just wrote: "Idiocic".

Guess that says it all!

As long as we've gotten this far, I should mention that I have also been trying to get a review up at 3DFX, or any acknowledgement whatsoever that the game exists. They have a write-your-own-review section, so I sent one in, emphasizing the 3D aspect.

There was no response, so I e-mailed after a few days, nothing. Then I wrote to the editor (politely) under the Contact Us button- mail was returned as undeliverable!

I haven't given up yet, but this is like knocking on a buttoned Tiger. I would be OK with "your review sucks Krummlauf, stop bothering us" but it's like there are no PEOPLE there. Any of you graphics heads got a contact there?