Infantry and Random Movement

OK, I have played the Cheneux scenario at least three times now, and in two games so far, Veteran U.S. troops charge forward for no particular reason, except to get wiped out.

Squads seeing their peers 20m away get wiped out doesn't appear to make a light bulb light up in any of the soldiers' heads.

In ASL I remember that troops could sometimes go beserk, if they were under fire. But in this case I think this is happening a bit too often.

If it was night time, I would be more enclined to stay put or crawl forward than charge straight into machine gun nests or AA gun positions.

I hereby demote all the stupid troops who foolishly left a hidden position to attack an MG nest, even though they are all dead now.

Why did they charge?! They were hidden behind a hedge. Bizarre in the extreme.

mad.gif

patboivin wrote:

> Squads seeing their peers 20m away get wiped out doesn't appear to make a light bulb light up in any of the soldiers' heads.

The squads in CM don't 'see' anything, being collections of computer code. They react to their own circumstances.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Pat,

I think most of it comes from them seeking better cover. Your troops that were hiding behind the hedge, were they taking fire?

If so. A hedge offers really no protection. So maybe they were just running towards the nearest cover... which happens to be where the enemy is.

Just a thought.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

The first time I played A Night at Cheneux I played with one of my old board game war game buddies who was very new to CM. He knew alot about WWII and alot about 2D card board wargames so I worked the interface of CM and the computer and he told be where and to direct the troops. I did not agree with his strategy and approach but I did what he suggested none the less. I write this because I could not believe we claimed victory as Allies the first time we tried the scenario.

His choice of tactics was a plain and simple Balls out run as fast as you can with all units down to the town. We basically over ran them early and mopped up later.

Yes it was a blood bath but I could not believe he just commited them all and ran straight forward right in the dark night danger with everything we had. But it was surprisingly successful.

So I might suggest you try that, Balls out run down to the town as fast as you can, don't stop just keep them running, then seek cover, rest them, and fight with what ever you have left once you get there.

I was very suprised how well that worked for us.

tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 09-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 09-13-2000).]