What is a draw?

Guest Mortiis

Guest Mortiis

Read company commander (great book)and in it they made reference to a draw, exactly what is a draw, pictures would be great as well if possible. thnx in advance

Actually, a 'draw' is more like a gully, or as my dictionary puts it: "A small, natural drainageway with a shallow bed" or "the dry bed of a stream". There are 62 other definitions listed, but this is the one you want. smile.gif

-craig

chulett wrote:

> Actually, a 'draw' is more like a gully

I'm no American, but I doubt you're likely to hear about a gully in the context of a campaign. I believe draws featured heavily in the Allied advance through Normandy, an in this case they were wide valleys overlooked by the enemy, making them extremely hazardous - hence Purple Heart Draw.

David

You just messed with Scotland's most notorious pedant

Read the help file in the game for the battles. It refers to a draw that lies just northeast of the top of Hill 192. The 'German Perspective' specifically says "The draw is the perfect natural obstacle for stopping the Americans. It is deep enough to hinder tanks from crossing it. If US soldiers climb down to its bottom to get across it, they can easily be picked off from above." I really don't feel this refers to a wide valley... Besides, isn't it represented on the map as the wide stream-bed that runs north to south (battle 3)?

-craig

Guest Michael emrys

My dictionary calls it a gully shallower than a ravine. I think it's something much like a wadi, but with the added connotation that it is where a gulley opens out onto a wide, flat area.

As regards Normandy, the re-entrants that provided access from the beaches to the interior and that lay between the bluffs were called draws. They were where the Germans placed the bulk of their mines and wire and were covered by machine guns that were the devil to get at. That's why the battles for them were such murder.

Michael

Hey David, I just sent a package to a Drew Aitken in East Kilbride, works for MicroTech, any relation? As far as this thread goes, I just wanted to say I spent some time in the fair city of Amarillo, in the Pan Handle of Texas where it’s so flat you can see for a hundred miles and if you stand on a Tuna fish can you can see for another hundred. The only variation in the terrain are depressions in the ground. The Texans there have a dozen or so different names for them. E.g.: stream, wash, ravine, arroyo, gully, valley, canyon… they have more names for a gully than Eskimo’s have names for snow.