At The Wire Friday Night Update...CMHQ!!!

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Been busy taking care of some real life stuff but I just squeezed in the update.

On the menu for this evening is:

Another Max Molinaro guffaw funny POTD

Another turn of AAR fun with Fionn (turn 9 for those that are paying attention)

A weeks worth of Archived POTDS assembled...

Thats it!

Get going!!!

Madmatt cool.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Babra

Warning: Super Grog post. rolleyes.gif

I'm not asking for any changes here, but why would the loader's hatch be open on the Hetzer? Since the machine gun is electrically operated I always just assumed it would remain closed in combat. If the vehicle acquires a target, the crew are going to be too busy to button it up, aren't they?

And the toolbox is still missing from the left rear fender... wink.gif

EDIT: D'oh! That's not the hatch, that's the MG shield... okay, you may all mock me now...

[This message has been edited by Babra (edited 05-20-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

EDIT: D'oh! That's not the hatch, that's the MG shield... okay, you may all mock me now...

[This message has been edited by Babra (edited 05-20-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha Babra, you've got no clue! (How's that for mocking?) smile.gif

What about the colour of the Hetzer, it looks a bit off, was that normal? I've really got no clue, so please excuse me if that is a stupid question.

------------------

Andreas

The hiddious color tone monster rises again! Quality control on paint for WWII vehicles on all sides wasn't real good. Then there's factory vs field applications of paint. The guys in the fiels had to use whatevever they could find to thin paint. Usually they resorted to gasoline. The applicator could have been anything from a profesional sprayer hooked into the air compressor on the vehicle itself to a mop. Dirt, oil, and sun all had an impact on the color of a vehicle after just a short time in the field.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EScurlock:

The hiddious color tone monster rises again! Quality control on paint for WWII vehicles on all sides wasn't real good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I am perfectly aware of the fact that there were not always professional air-brush artists involved in camouflage design. It was just the comparison between the strange-looking scheme of the Hetzer and the beautifully worked out Panther that made me think maybe Madmatt had that screenshot from a time when the Hetzer was not finished by BTS.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

Guest Madmatt

For the record. ALL POTDs from about two weeks ago and into the future are from the Final Version. That's not too good of an angle for that Hetzer though and I can assure you that up close, the texture is very detailed.

I am not sure why it came out like that in the picture and to be honest I agree that going strickly from that picture it looks a little odd. But in game and in other POTDs that have featured it, it looks great.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Oh, I am perfectly aware of the fact that there were not always professional air-brush artists involved in camouflage design. It was just the comparison between the strange-looking scheme of the Hetzer and the beautifully worked out Panther that made me think maybe Madmatt had that screenshot from a time when the Hetzer was not finished by BTS.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Copy that. Sorry for the presumptuousness. One too many arguments, with one too many die-hard fans of this companie's colors, or this companie's colors I guess.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

[This message has been edited by EScurlock (edited 05-20-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EScurlock:

Copy that. Sorry for the presumptuousness. One too many arguments, with one too many die-hard fans of this companie's colors, or this companie's colors I guess.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. I can understand that, and while we are at it, might I also say that a friend of a friend of my sister-in-law's brother's grandfather told me that once he was told by somebody who heard it from somebody else that that guy had seen a B/W photocopy of an old newspaper picture of a Panther that was taken from an artists impression of a Biggles comic picture of a Panther, and the colours looked so different, I can't even start to tell you and what is BTS going to do about that?

Couldn't resist.

No particular relevance, but I was just overflown by a C-47 Dakota flying at about 100m height - cool. Although with the weather here at the moment I am glad I was sitting here and not in it.

------------------

Andreas

Sorry to jump in here, but the ref to the C47 reminds me of the time we were fishing up in N. Saskatchewan. This was when the US was testing cruise missiles, and a B-52 flew over us at no more than 300 feet, with an offset of about 1/4 mile. One of the most impressive things I have ever experienced. smile.gif

Craig (loving non-selective herbicides...die weeds die)

Guest Babra

I was on a bike trip down to Cincinnati late one night/early one morning, and as I was passing through Dayton a B52 flew so low over I-75 it spooked the crap outa me. Good thing there were no other vehicles on the road cuz I was..ummm...mildly distracted wink.gif

The runway at Wright must be damn close to the highway!

Incredible how these threads get derailed...

I was archery hunting for deer in the UP of Michigan in a treestand, when a B-52 flew directly over (from behind me) at pretty close to treetop level. Never heard it coming.

Hard to hunt with the old camo suit suddenly turned into Pampers.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Hard to hunt with the old camo suit suddenly turned into Pampers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Madmatt's threads are the only ones I feel you have to derail...

Did you frighten the poor little Deer with the 'Stench of Battle"?

Imagine you are a Deer, going down to the water, sipping some with your little Deer lips and suddenly WHACK, you get a bullet between the eyes. Would you care whether the guy had previously c*****d in his pants?

Sorry for murdering the line.

------------------

Andreas

Key concept was "archery". No bullets. Arrows.

Max effective range for me is about 40 yards, but in deep forest it's difficult to get a clear shot at that range. Ideally we would like Mr. Deer within 25 yds. They have a keen sense of smell.

Note that they have huge, slavering lips. If we wish to be anthropomorphic, consider the tiny acorn, full of potential, a whole life of noble treedom ahead of it, with dreams of growing into a noble oak and harboring the birds of the air and shading the peaceful forest floor...

...suddenly snuffed in a single avaricious chomp by a drooling ruminant acorn-killing machine.

Derailed or what?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

If we wish to be anthropomorphic, consider the tiny acorn, full of potential, a whole life of noble treedom ahead of it, with dreams of growing into a noble oak and harboring the birds of the air and shading the peaceful forest floor...

...suddenly snuffed in a single avaricious chomp by a drooling ruminant acorn-killing machine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right, pardon my ignorance - I say go forth you huddled masses and avenge the acorn by blasting the blasted Deer and the Squirrel, because the latter have been known to not only abduct acorns but also to bury them alive, to finally fiendishly devour them in Winter!

Now, is BTS maybe thinking about putting in a sound effect of the good old 'South Park' - It's coming right at us? Maybe to be shouted by a 17pdr. AT gun crew when they spot a Kübelwagen.

------------------

Andreas