"Assault Movement with AFV's a la ASL" in CM too?

One thing I recall in the earlier Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) game was that infantry that would "move with" a tank/assault gun (at the same speed as the infantry) would gain a minor cover benefit. Or rather, the detrimental fire modifier for moving in open ground was negated.

So I am curious if this got into CM too; that an infantry unit "moving with" an AFV gets some cover benefit. I should also note that I'm not talking about infantry that are RIDING on the top of the tank.

Accounting for this in CM may be a programming chore, of course, for "mobile" cover to be considered and also that the cover benefit shouldn't be expected to apply for fire that comes from behind the tank & infantry. But my curiosity remains nonetheless.

Ed

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Well, as for infantry riding *on* a tank, I believe they do receive some sort of protection from the front from cover from the size of the turret, but they are still vulnerable from the sides.

Now, for walking behind a tank, they would of course benefit from the entire size of the tank. Again, they would be quite vulnerable from the sides.

*NOTE*--Each infantry squad is between 8-12 men, so "hiding" that many men behind a turret or tank is another problem.

Again, this maybe something you may have to "unlearn" from previous wargames.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-22-2000).]

Guest tom w

Sounds like disinformation to me....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

Well, as for infantry riding *on* a tank, I believe they do receive some sort of protection from the front from cover from the size of the turret, but they are still vulnerable from the sides.

Now, for walking behind a tank, they would of course benefit from the entire size of the tank. Again, they would be quite vulnerable from the sides.

*NOTE*--Each infantry squad is between 8-12 men, so "hiding" that many men behind a turret or tank is another problem.

Again, this maybe something you may have to "unlearn" from previous wargames.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-22-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a previous thread:

Fion Says:

Ko'd vehicles DO act as cover. Live vehicles don't because it would

simply kill ur CPU.

KO'd vehicles DO act as cover.. Of course given that a squad's footprint,is large it is quite common not to get them all fully behind the vehicle and thus the enemy can fire at a few exposed guys.

capt foobar says:....

What about AFV's that are stationary?

I know that moving vehicles are *not* calculated in LOS, but I thought that stationary units were not a problem.

MadMatt says:

Nope, Live is live, if its live they dont block LOS.

Dead DO block LOS so in essence give cover although not in any way that you are thinking of.

In short: DONT hide behind a tank, alive or dead... You have been

warned...Unless you are playing me in PBEM them by all means....

TANKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS>>>> HIDE BEHIND TANKS>>>>>ADVANCE IN LONG COLUMNS TOO>>>FORGET YOUR FLANKS!>>>><<><><><>>><>

Madmatt..

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Just to get complete closure on this question: do units that are "embarked" on tanks gain any cover from frontal fire? I would think that the change in status (i.e., to "embarked") would allow for this w/o the CPU hit of tracking LOS effects of live vehicles.

Mucho obligado to whoever provides the definitive answer.

Ethan

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Big Time Software

I am pretty sure the answer to this is no. Reason is that the degree of protection is quite small, and at least variable from vehicle to vehicle. Heck some vehicles don't even have turrets wink.gif

12 men on the back of a tank would have to be all lying on top of each other and the fire would have to be coming from dead ahead for the turret to provide any meaningful cover. And to the contrary, troops riding on the decks of AFVs are highly exposed and are in fact much easier targets to both direct and indirect fire. This is one of the reasons infantry was prohibited from riding AFVs in both German and Allied doctrine.

Steve

Guest Charles

Question: When using an AFV for "cover," can you gain a measure of protection by splitting your squad so that 4-6 are hiding behind the AFV instead of 8-12?

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS