Annoying thing about tank guns...

I don't think that pointing out that real-world tanks don't typically fire rounds through the corners of buildings is a demonstration that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Nor do I think that asking that the on-screen representation of a building (effectively a cube) accurately represent the location of that building requires some "Star Trek" machine.

I'm willing to grant the shot-tracking shortcuts as reasonable under the circumstances. But there are very real, and very fixable LOS issues with this game.

And I should point out that an arrogant blanket claim that the game is "as realistic a simulation as today's hardware can make it", not to mention a gratitous assumption that someone doesn't know "much about anything", is no way to make friends.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weasel:

I don't think that pointing out that real-world tanks don't typically fire rounds through the corners of buildings is a demonstration that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

[snip]

...there are very real, and very fixable LOS issues with this game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree here. I once played a game in which a mortar unit spent his entire useful career trying to get LOS. I posted about this earlier (see "LOS woes"). I had moved the unit to what appeared to be a fortuitous position, only to find his LOS blocked. Move again, still blocked, etc, ad naseum. In each case the LOS function had "gone red" just barely in front of the unit. Unless I am misinterpreting something, this tells me that the lack of LOS was caused by the fact that the unit could not see over the "lip" between the terrain tile he was sitting on and the next. That next terrain tile angled down with respect to the one the unit was sitting on. His eyeballs would have to be in his toes. Of course, moving him just over the lip didn't deem to help matters.

As pointed out by weasel, it seems ridiculous that when I switch to the ground-level view and see a clear view of my intended target over the shoulder of my unit, his LOS is blocked by... what?

More importantly, why the "I know better than you" speech? I don't recall anyone here claiming that fixing the problem was supposed to be easy. But it is a problem. In fact, I'm very surprised there hasn't been a lot more discussion about it. Perhaps that means I have a grevious misunderstanding of the way LOS works?

erl