Jackson vs Tiger action in v1.05

Tris

This may be an old issue for all I know but I thought I'd post it here to see what the reaction might be.

In a tourney game using v1.05 a Jackson ran up against a Tiger (Pz VIE) and over the course of two turns managed to completely miss twice from 78m, then had its next two shots hit only to see both shells break up on the Tiger turret's frontal armor.

Now the Tiger's turret armor is estimated to be 100mm+ in the front with an 8^ slope, meanwhile the Jackson's 90mm canon is supposed to be able to penetrate 143mm at 0^ slope and 115mm given a 30^ slope. Are occurances of this kind with these vehicles normal to anyone's play experience?

Re the misses: the crew is veteran but the Jackson was permantently buttoned due to the TC having taken a bullet or fragment of shrapnel along the way.

IIRC, the "100mm+" for the Tiger's front turret armor means that the armor thickness varies from 100m on up (to 200mm if I remember right) to account for the gun mantle. I don't know that anything definitive has been published on just how the actual armor thickness for any given hit on the Tiger's turret is determined, but it seems that there's at least a chance that the Jackson might hit the thick part a couple times in a row. It sounds like that crew was fairly luck-challenged to start with...

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tris:

In a tourney game using v1.05 a Jackson ran up against a Tiger (Pz VIE) and over the course of two turns managed to completely miss twice from 78m, then had its next two shots hit only to see both shells break up on the Tiger turret's frontal armor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may know this already, but the shell break-up maybe supposed to simulate the inferior production quality (metallurgical flaw) that apparently affected a number of US AP rounds (was stated here by BTS, IIRC, a short time after the 1999 Beta demo came out when this happened quite often with the Hellcat ammo). Having that happen twice right after one another at that distance is shurely unlucky.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-27-2000).]