Poll: Real time vs WEGO difficulty

Guest Pillar

I have played just about every RTS game that has been out, and the past year I got burnout on the hectic feed troops to the masses.

And he who builds first and most wins, regardless of tactics.

The first turn-based strategy game I played was this year and that was HOMM3.

I found the slower, more thoughtfull pace actually more tactical than most RTS games.

I find the WEGO actually more tense than any RTS game, teh 60 second run, and you can't do anything, it all comes down to how you planned your move before.

This causes me way more tension, than any RTS game I have played, you live with your mistake, you can't act on your decision immediately.

Most RTS games you just lick your wounds and build twice as many units, troops, etc.

And throw them at the enemy.

I still enjoy a few RTS games, mainly AOK, just bought Jagged Alliance 2, looks like a good turn-based tactical squad game.

I think CM is the perfect blend of planning and action and thinking, things many newer RTS games lack, IMO.

------------------

-kill 'em all and let God sort them out-

In responce to the Shogun RTS engine question. The feel of commanding period unit formations/facings comes through quite nicely IMO. If you are playing a campain vs the computer you can pause/take stock/plan etc. You have to be unpaused to issue orders though.

My only complaint is the graphic display. Your camera altitude is locked. If you want to view a unit on heavily sloped terrain you can have a real struggle getting the camera into a position that has a good view of it.

------------------

"What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night Pinkey... We're going to take over Europe!"

I think real time is harder.

Plus, in a way it's more realistic then having for ever to plan on assaults, but on the other hand it's not more realistic when you troops are metal marines. I think it would work well in CM, 'cause the units don't move that fast. Of course the progamming aspect might not work.

The reason I brought up Shogun was because I feel it's the first Real Time strategy game that really worked well. Close Combat works in many ways, but fails in too many programming issues imho so it doesn't count.

I'd love if they made a game like civilization where you played out the battles like in Shogun. The strategic big picture in Shogun is sort of simplified like "Risk".

Can anyone name 5 recent games that use the wego system? I know TacOps was wego, and CM. What others? I was under the impression that the wego thing was more or less a new concept, or rather an obscure concept that CM was trying to bring to popularity. At any rate, it worked. I think the wego thing would have fallen flat on it's face in CM if not for 2 factors :

1) the ability to give detailed, complex orders during the 60 second phase;

2) The great TacAI which tries to take care of your men when they run into trouble. No tiberium trucks here!!

DeanCo--

My reaction to the question is simple. I've never felt mentally exhausted by a turn based game. I have often felt mentally exhausted playing an RTS. Because there is never time to rest one's thinking processes in an RTS. If you start feeling mentally taxed in a turn based game, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage, so you should probably walk away from it until you're mentally fit again. You do this in an RTS and your dead.

WEGO is not a new concept at all. About 6 years ago I was playing a game called "VGA Planets", a galactic scale strategy game with unique races and ships. It was a lot of fun, and it was 11 players large per game.

I've used a lot of RTS (fantasy, sci-fi, historical), some turn based (TOAW and some others) and CM is my first WEGO game.

I found that WEGO is the most difficult (principally due to the fact that you must look more "in the future" than other systems) but, IMHO, the most satisfactory on the "mind usage" point of view, followed by turn based and last RTS (were speed is probably more important).

As I'm getting old my "mouse speed" is decreasing and i'm loosing "the grip" on RTS (too much beers probably is also a reason).

Anyway some well done RTS (like Ground Control) are not only a matter of speed but also a matter of "brain".

------------------

"Memento Audere Semper" - G. D'Annunzio

"so this is not some life or death huge issue like having a baby, buying a house or getting

married ( boyt that sound like a Whole hell of a lot of REALITY for one sentence didn't it)" - aka_tom_w

You're telling me! I've been considering all three over the past month or two :P

My vote is that WEGO is more demanding (mentally).