Dead FOs & continuing arty fire

No, this is not a revival of the incessant discussion on whether or not other units should be able to call arty.

Rather, a question about the continuation of already-falling arty after the FO dies. It seems a bit odd that the last act of every FO prior to collapsing is to call for his fires to stop. I would think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this) that the battery would continue to FFE until out of ammo without constant contact with (enouragement from?) the FO. Dead FO=no contact=fire continues - no?

Any thoughts?

Guest Michael emrys

Yes. That is, no.

That is, when an FO called in a fire mission, either he would specify how many rounds or the fire control director would decide and inform him. Once those rounds had been fired, firing would cease although he could request a repeat. Of course, once he is deceased, he can request no more repeats.

CM does not replicate the artillery request procedure quite perfectly, but it's close enough for most of us to live with for the time being.

Michael

I figured this would come up. I know that WWII arty procedures were not as simple as "keep dropping shells on the target until I tell you to stop," but at the same time I think the instant halt upon FO death is a little much, particularly when only a couple rounds have fallen.

The ideal of course would be the ability to specify the number of rounds to be fired on the target, but this seems to me a bit more complicated to implement.

Its not that the current system is particularly bad, nor is it that I'm complaining about abstration in the interest of game play, but just that I think things could be tweaked a bit.

IIRC Bullethead has commented on this, saying that modern arty FOs are in constant communication with the gunners, and if communication is lost, fire stops immediately to avoid the potential for friendly fire. Hope I didn't put words in your mouth, BH.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super