Aligning Hull to Turret Revisited: What was the Historical Practice?

engy

Okay, sure...I'm groggy after a 6 day weekend, but I still don't think I found what I was looking for in my search, so...

Presently, in CM, when firing a turreted AFV to a target not at the 12 o'clock position of the hull, the hull rotates exactly to the turret facing. I'm sure I've read griping in the forum before about not being able to take advantage of a purposeful angle-off defensive position because of the automatic hull rotation (but, these are the posts I can't find. I'll blame it on the turkey and stuffing.)

My question: did WWII tankers line up the hull exactly to the turret facing, or did they rotate the hull to some close angle (5-10 degrees, maybe?) to take advantage of the additional angle without presenting too much opportunity for a round right through the side of the hull?

Either a response or a raging, screaming command to do a search coupled with the right terms to use would be helpful. smile.gif

------------------

"He who makes war without many mistakes has not made war very long."

Napoleon Bonaparte

I suspect there was alot of perpendicular firing from hull down positions, much like the Israeli ramps used in the Sinai. Picture a road with a wall on one side and holes cut to leave firing points along it. All a tank does is go forward and reverse while keeping the turret pointed downrange (90 degrees to the right or left). But you can't do that in CM.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salatimus.

I would imagine it would depend a lot on the situation. The firing position in WWII was probably whatever position you first see the tank in. Especially with shermans I'm not sure exactly how much thought was put into how they angled the tank when they took the shot, but I'd be a lot more was put into being able to scoot away quickly without ever having to take a hit. Maybe some of the tankers on the board can give us some idea of the practices.

I believe angling the hull was done a lot with tiger Is, because their side armor was nearly as thick as the front.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Guest AbnAirCav

I read an interesting item relating to this recently about the M3 Stuart light tank. The turret traversing wheel was poorly located, so the "Stuart crews tended to fight with the turret pointed directly forward, steering the tank towards the target and using the limited traverse of the M22 mount for precision aiming rather than the turret traverse."

FWIW, the M3A1 incorporated a power turret traverse to fix this problem ...