The deuce and a half "Wasp" scout vehicle

I just finished reading The Captains, by W.E.B. Griffin, a novel on the Korean war. In it, he describes vehicles called Wasps, made in the field from Army deuce and a half trucks, with an extra .50 cal machine gun in the truck bed and sandbag turrets for both guns. In the novel, hey were used for scouting, blasting away at anything that might be a pillbox or infantry. Does anyone know if these trucks were ever used in real life, and in World War II? They sounded like they would be great until an enemy tank came around a bend in the road.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

hmmmmm, seems to me I have seen pics of something like that used for convoy protection in "Nam....

twin or quad .50's on the back of a 2 1/2 or 5 ton...sandbagged to heck... smile.gif

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

Guest Big Time Software

I am sure that some soft skinned vehicles were armed and driven around in NW Europe. But this would have been for convoy protection only I would think. In the Desert it would be different since, in theory, you could see your enemy from a safer distance and more effectively engage them while trying to withdraw. But how a .50 stuck on a truck back would protect against an improvised ambush by a couple of guys in France is beyond me smile.gif

Steve

"What would you have us do, Colonel? Go back?"

Gotta love it...

------------------

Jeff Fraser

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

-Tyler Durden, "Fight Club"