CM hits the Wild Wild East

CM arrived in Prague this morning, a mere 17 days after I ordered, and with no duty to pay. I'm gonna have to rethink all my criticisms of post-communist beurocracy. Anyway, i'm gonna hunker in the bunker for a few days to feel out the game, then I'll see the rest of you on the field of battle.

(this means I'm gonna have to come up with a cool signature for my posts)

not yet, but strangely enough, I had to wait about an hour at the post office as everyone seemed to be very busy at their computers. Also, the postmaster asked me to check the manual about mortar LOS and rates of fire when I went to pick up my package.

BTW, does CM normally come wrapped in torn (czech) newspaper wrapped with ducktape? wink.gif

As for the real pirates, they'll eventually get it anyway -as they did in china ("bad news for BTS") most likely bundled with 50 other games. The bright side is that someone might see the game on a pirate cd who otherwise wouldn't have ever heard of the game and buy it because his pirate is defective or he needs the manual to get the full effect of the game. this kind of thing does happen, ya know.

At the risk of opening myself up to severe criticism for not turning him in to the proper authorities at once, i'll tell you that that's how a friend of mine got into the whole "Civilization" series. He got the origional on a pirate bundled with 25 other games. He played civ, but could never get really good at it without the instructions. Eventually he bought it because when it was finally made available here and has since bought Civ 2, and Civ Call to power. I don't know whatever happened to the Pirate CD.

If nothing else, I think CM is the same kind of game. Piraters may actually be doing BTS a (slight)favor by getting the game made available to people in countries that may never have heard of it. They try it, think it's cool but can't really get into it. Then, when they see it somewhere (internet), they remember it and buy it. I know that that is really playing devil's advocate, but I'm just looking at the brightside of an otherwise bleak subject.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jadayne:

He played civ, but could never get really good at it without the instructions. Eventually he bought it because when it was finally made available here and has since bought Civ 2, and Civ Call to power. I don't know whatever happened to the Pirate CD.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember when my friend got a pirated game called Flashback. I think it was by a French company, Delphine. Well, I liked the style of that platformer, but something that kept me from just copying it was that it was in French. God, I don't understand French!! Yet I wanted to be able to play it, so eventually I bought an original English version (and had a clear conscience). Maybe those nasty French coders had let that version out themselves, just to make me buy the game?

Something worth to think of in BTS? I mean, just think of it, having your scenario descriptions in French, all in-game data in French, and so on. Or maybe in Danish, Dutch, Mongolian or some other unimportant and horrible sounding tongue, otherwise no French would pay for it...

Anyway, I think it's quite utopistic to count that pirate copies just increase sales. It's like I would assume that person whoever picked my wallet from train seat a month ago is going to send it back to me... and there was about 150 US$ worth of money in it! Grrr!

hey,

while we're on the subject of pirating (again), I should tell you in Bulgaria, for instance, pirating is semi-legal. That is, legitimate companies exist (some whith state funding) that do nothing but pirate. They have all of the hardware available -burners, printers, etc., and can make reasonably good quality, heck -perfect copies of any music or software you can imagine. They then ship them to other Eastern European countries. The pirates are sold door-to-door, Avon style, to companies and individuals here in Prague. A bulgarian literally knocks on your office door with a backpack full of cd's. What's more, they're usually here LONG before the title's actually released in this neck of the woods. All pirate CD's here -music, software, SonyPlaystation, cost about 6$. These pirate's aren't buggy. They're not virus infected. If you don't take the moral high ground on the pirating issue, then there's really no reason you wouldn't buy one. Face it, unless the hardware or software we presently use is SERIOUSLY tweaked, then it's never gonna stop. Might as well take as much good out of the situation as possible.