Newbie with a few questions :)

Heinzi

Hi

I received a brand new copy of Tacops today klick smile.gif

I played the tutorial and read the according pdfs.

But I have some questions.

-It seems that there are hundreds of unused units in this game. But I can only find American and Canadian scenarios and they are on the same maps. Where can I finde more?

-I played a Scenario, where I had to stop gazillion of Brts and T80s with some AFVs. I managed to knock out a bunch (Killratio was about 4:1 in favor to me), but that was only 38% of the enemy. I lost 85% until I gave up.

Do you have any tips for defending an area, I tried to move my units once they fired, but most time the infantry was to slow and got destroyed by enemy artillery.

-I managed to make an own map with the editor, but where is the option to add units, a briefing etc?

-Is it possible to Demomove more than one unit at a time? This would be nice to coordinate attack moves.

The game is really great, I played about 3 hours today and enjoyed every minute.

Thanks for buying TacOps4.

>-It seems that there are hundreds of unused units in this game.

You can add those units to an existing scenario by using the "Options/Add One Unit" menu item and or by using the "Options/Change Units & Wpns" menu item.

> But I can only find American and Canadian scenarios and they are on the same maps.

>Where can I finde more?

There are a few user designed sceanrios (actually saved game files) floating around but for the most part they are only for use in human vs human game play. The scenario editing features in TacOps do not include the ability to create an AI directed enemy force for solitaire. As a result, a large library of user created scenarios has never developed for TacOps.

>-I played a Scenario, where I had to stop gazillion of Brts and T80s with

>some AFVs. I managed to knock out a bunch (Killratio was about 4:1 in

>favor to me), but that was only 38% of the enemy. I lost 85% until I gave up.

>Do you have any tips for defending an area, I tried to move my units once

>they fired, but most time the infantry was to slow and got destroyed by

>enemy artillery.

Different enemy capabilities require different tactics. When OPFOR is equipped with thermals

and improved warheads, a defending US force can not generally survive a static nose to nose slug

fest, therefore it should use a mobile defense rather than a static defense. Defenders should

generally avoid the use of direct fire for as long as arty can significantly attrit the attacker.

Exceptions to withholding direct fire include (1) the elimination of the enemy's advance recon

units, (2) enemy units that that can be annihilated with one volley and that are isolated by terrain

features so that they are momentarily out of sight of following/supporting units, and (3) long

range nuisance sniping by rapidly displacing, heavy ATGMs. Defenders must satisfy

themselves with the damage that can be done by direct fire with one or two surprise volleys

(preferably one) and then immediately move/fall back, under cover, to a new firing position.

>-I managed to make an own map with the editor, but where is the option to

>add units, a briefing etc?

You can't add a,"About the Scenario" briefing except as a text file that is viewed externally from TacOps - i.e. one that is viewed with a simple text program. You load the map and add units by doing the following.

Run TacOps.

Load one of the following custom scenario design templates:

Custom Scenario US Army.sce.

or Custom Scenario USMC.sce.

or Custom Scenario CA CMBG.sce.

As the scenario template file loads, a window will appear that asks you to select a map to use with this scenario template. At that point you can select the map that you made or any other map.

You then add units by using the "Options/Add One Unit" menu item and or the

"Options/Add Optional Units" menu item. Finally, you preserve your work as a saved game file.

>-Is it possible to Demomove more than one unit at a time?

No.

By the way, I checked out your WWII website. You might consider getting involved in the addition of WWII items to the TacOps game engine. A few weeks ago I partially surrendered to years of badgering by some TacOps users who are also WWII fans. I offered to begin adding WWII units and equipment via free updates over the coming weeks and months - so long as the fans did most of the research for defining the OOB, units, and weapons.

So far I have not gotten much in the way of adequatelly detailed feedback (codeable OOB, vehicle specs, unit specs, weapon specs, etc.). I have very little interest in WWII myself so if the fans do not drive the boat on this then the boat is gonna stay in port. smile.gif

Check out the link below for more info on this project. Look for threads that have "WWII" in the title.

http://www.war-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171

[ December 30, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]