After action casualty report

BTS. I think the addition of the "bodies" for the reason you are doing it is a fine addition to the game. I personally think that I will be able to fully enjoy CM without a lot of gore and blood, but I can understand the reason some would like it in. I guess the bottom line is it's your baby and you have to do it the way you think is best for all.

Username brought up a good point about a squad that loses 11 men in one place and the last man continues on for some distance and then he buys it.

Would it be possible in a future version to have an overview of the battlefield after the last turn on which the location of each casualty is shown? These could be indicated by symbols, maybe different color for wounded and KIA with disabled vehicles also shown. This might not satisfy those who want blood and guts but it could serve as a good learning tool. You might even have 2 different views. One would be the all telling view showing all casualties for both sides and the other view would depend on your command of the field at the end. Don't know if that one would really be needed because from game play you would certainly have an idea where you took loses but the choice would be nice. Just an idea. Don't know how much addition CPU horsepower that would take up, maybe too much.

One more thing. Would it ever be possible to print maybe rough maps of the field and/or any after action reports instead of scratching them done in a note book?

Guest Big Time Software

Just to be clear, we strongly oppose blood and gore in our games. We will never have it in our games. The "bodies" we have are simply the same exact figure on its back. Anything more than that will have to be left up to twisted imaginations.

Username's point was actually the number one reason we didn't think a casualty marker was a good idea. This goes back some 8 or 9 months now smile.gif We had to get over that one even before we decided on what symbol we would choose. That was back in November.

The problem is that it will hit the CPU. How hard? For bodies... huge. For a small symbol, not horrible, but noticable. During a game, either would clutter and utterly confuse the gameplay, so that is out. In addition to this, Charles would have to do a LOT of book keeping, meaning his time and that PBEM files would grow by a bit.

Like I said in response to Username's post, we thought it would be a bigger deal that it turned out to be. Most often the bodies do show where the big action was. Perhaps not exactly in some cases, or at all every so often, but close enough that the fix for this would probably be worse than the problem.

At this point ANY feature is too late since we haven't been adding stuff for a couple of weeks now smile.gif

Steve

I also think that gore and blood are unnecessary, and I have an idea for those who enjoy it: use a dead chicken as mouse mat.

You know, not only seeing blood, but smelling and touching dead meat...

More ideas?

Steve

I agree with you on leaving out the gore. I was just thinking of more of a simple map like view after the last turn with some X's and O's indicating where casualities were taken. No graphics. No view during the game and no bodies. Not knowing a thing about programming I can understand the bookkeepping problem from turn to turn. I just though something like that might actually help to show the carnage of the battlefield without all the blood and guts being shown.

How about my second question. Could there ever be any way of printing simple maps or the after action reports?

Guest Madmatt

Rick,

Why don't you just take a screenshot of the Final Debrief screen? Almost every AAR I have ever posted on CMHQ has a picture like that and there are dozens of threads on this board giving explicit instructions on how to take screenshots (although I just hit the Print Screen Key! biggrin.gif).

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Rick,

Even a little symbol would take two polygons each. In a battle with 1000 men per side, that could likely mean at least 1,000 little markers by the end of the battle. 2,000 polygons on the screen will hit the framerate in a not so minor way (it equals roughly 5 tanks up close). And again, to have this on the map during gameplay would be distracting in our opinion.

No, there is no way to print out the map or AAR except by Print Screen, which should work out pretty well.

Steve

Steve

You don't have to reply to this, I know you have more pressing things to do right now. I just want to make it clear that I'm not suggesting for anything to be shown during the game play. After the last turn is over you could take an overhead view of the battlefield and see where casualities were taken for both sides just marked by symbols. You mentioned a bookkeepping problem having to carry over the location of those from turn to turn and I can understand that. Maybe someday and I won't say another word on it. I have read the threads on print screen and I am sure that will work just fine. Madmatt, if you read this I apologize for my remark on that being more fun. You guys are all working real hard on this but you still take the time to answer our questions one on one. Thanks