Differing bazooka models

The PF thread got me thinking about bazookas. Why aren't the various models of bazookas madelled in CM?

Is it because during the time frame there was only one model? I was under the impression (albeit from ASL) that there was a 44 and 45 model.

Or was it decided that the differences were not great enough to warrant the coding?

Jeff

The bazookas used in WWII all used the same 2.36" rocket, so performance was similar over all these models. There were some minor improvements made during the war, but nothing earth (or tank) shattering. The M20 "Super Bazooka" increased the diameter of the rocket with correspondingly better penetration, but it did not see service until the '50s.

I never understood why ASL had different models of bazooka.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

The late-war M9 bazooka had optical sights in place of the iron sights of earlier models; this increased accuracy and presumably effective range. ASL has 3 bazooka types: the BAZ45 (longer range, more accurate; presumably the M9 model), the BAZ44 (presumably the M1A1 or late M1 with improved iron sights) and the BAZ43. I think the '43 and '44 models have similar to-hit performance, but IIRC the BAZ43 had slightly lower penetration ability. Not sure why this was as all apparently fired the same round.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

The M1A1 had a new round. The original M1 round was desinged pre-WW2. I am not aware what the penetrative differences between the rounds might be however.

The M9 (as someone pointed out) had much better sights the the previous versions.

It would be nice to see two versions in CM, but not overly important.

One interesting thing is that smoke rounds were developed for the bazooka. THAT would be VERY useful...

Jeff Heidman

Hmm, maybe the M9 is modeled. Since penetration and actual range doesn't change, there wouldn't be any difference in the unit info screen. The only game-relevant change would probably be in the %hit chance, particularly at the outer edges of the engagement envelope. This could be modeled internally by the game engine depending on scenario date. Maybe someone could set up an experiment (US bazooka team sets up at various ranges to vehicular targets, in scenarios with different dates, and check the hit chances).

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley