Requested Refinements in patch for CM

I enjoy the game quite a bit but there are a few minor things I would like to see fixed in the current version of CM.

1. Please use the same file browser window for both saving and opening game/PBEM files.

The current interface is inconsistent and

annoying.

2. User customizable keyboard command mapping.

3. Why does the CD drive have to spin the entire time I am plotting moves?

Guest Madmatt

I am not sure about #1 but for #2 it is not coded to do so. Do you have your CD rom drive set to never spin-down for performance?

I know of several tweaks that keep the CD's spinning as it increases performance in games that need to cache data off the CD but CM doesn't actually require the CD in the drive once the game has begun.

Are you certain that you are not mistakeningly running the game from the CD instead of the install directory?

You might want to check that, others have made the same mistake and not known it.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

I am not sure about #1 but for #2 it is not coded to do so. Do you have your CD rom drive set to never spin-down for performance?

I know of several tweaks that keep the CD's spinning as it increases performance in games that need to cache data off the CD but CM doesn't actually require the CD in the drive once the game has begun.

Are you certain that you are not mistakeningly running the game from the CD instead of the install directory?

You might want to check that, others have made the same mistake and not known it.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am running version 1.05 which is only on my harddrive. My DVD/CD-ROM drive is not set to

continueously spin. Other programs like Street Atlas which access the CD for map data do not spin the entire time when running (only when accessing non-cached data). CM is unique in this regard on my system. I have noticed that when CM is on the Main screen with the Play Game button, the CD stops spinning but if I am in the sceen which shows the battlefield, then the CD spins continueously.

As to the file browser issue, try loading a PBEM game and notice that the game opens a file browser window that lists all the pbem files and allows you to get a detailed listing, etc... Now try saving a PBEM game; a different style input shows up which doesn't allow you to see the other files.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Biff:

One last point about the CD spinning. It seems to spin if Sound+Ambient is On. If I turn the Sound off or have just Sound On, the CD stops spinning while I am in the battle screen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a thought, but what size was your install? Did you install all the .wav files to the hard drive (including ambient sound). If not, that's probably your problem. (I have a full install and don't have constant CD spin).

--Philistine

One last point about the CD spinning. It seems to spin if Sound+Ambient is On. If I turn the Sound off or have just Sound On, the CD stops spinning while I am in the battle screen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, after thinking about this more I've noticed that I don't have the ambient .wav files on my hard-drive Wav directory so this is probably why the CD spins relentlesly with ambient sound on. I'll copy those ambient files from the CD to my hard-drive and see if that helps (I bet it will).

I still would like to see point #1 (in my original post) fixed. #2 is less important to me but I think it would be a nice refinement.

Guest BigAlMoho

I enjoy the game quite a bit but there are a few minor things I would like to see fixed in the current version of CM.

1. Please use the same file browser window for both saving and opening game/PBEM files.

The current interface is inconsistent and

annoying.

2. User customizable keyboard command mapping.

3. Why does the CD drive have to spin the entire time I am plotting moves?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Number 1: I suspect what we have here is a case of Least Common Denominators between PC & MAC operating systems and that nothing will be done to improve it...

Number 2: YES! PLEASE? The controls are a major source of irritation for me...