Possible bug re AFV hit percentage

In a PBEM CE game that I am currently playing, there appears to be a discrepancy in the targeting info my opponent and I are receiving. My stug which was parked behind a ridge line on my right center was shooting it out with a Sherman which was parked by the crossroad near the wheatfield facing each other head on. When I targeted the Sherman, the game reported a 75% hit probability and indicated that I am hull down to him. My opponent reports that when he targeted my Stug, game did not indicate that the Stug was hull down and gave him an 88% hit probability. The result of the exchange was that the Sherman's first two shots flew way over the Stug. The third shot hit but did no damage. The Stug hit the Sherman with its second shot and KOed it.

Seems to me that my opponent was receiving inaccurate data regarding his hit probability. Targeting data for me indicated I was hull down. Eyeballing it, the Stug does appear to be hull down to the Sherman. If the Stug really was not hull down and the Sherman really did have the 88% hit probability which was reported, the chance of the Sherman actually missing both of its first two shots was around 1%. I guess its possible that he just had bad luck, but I think its more likely that he received an inaccurate hit percentage because hull down was not reported or factored in.

Since we received conflicting reports regarding hull down status, clearly one was wrong. Is this a bug or is the report of hull down status affected by FOW and sometimes inaccurate (potentially resulting in highly inaccurate hit percentages)?

One other question, forgeting about whether or not the Stug was hull down, how could the Sherman have such a higher hit percentage. Vehicles were head on to each other. The Stug seems to have such a lower profile that I would think it presents a much smaller target. Is the sherman's gun inherently more accurate? Maybe a better crew?

Better crew? I think not smile.gif I still can't believe they missed with the first two shots mad.gif

Just to elaborate, from my perspective the Stug appeared to still be hull down, but it did not say so when I targeted him. I thought 88 percent seemed a bit high, for while I was at fairly close range, them damn Stugs is little smile.gif

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion www.siteonsound.com

[This message has been edited by RobVarak (edited 03-12-2000).]

bazooka-

You may already know this, if so sorry to waste your time. But, the "hull down" tag can appear in two different locations during targeting... over the targeter or over the targetee. So, if you target another tank and "hull down" appears next to the hit %, that tank is hull down to you. OTOH, if "hull down" appears over your tank, you are hull down to it. I mention this because it threw me for a very long time. wink.gif

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

It took me a while to realize that too. However, in this instance, when my Stug targetted the Sherman, it indicated that the Stug was hull down and the Sherman was not. However, when my opponent had his Sherman target the Stug on the same turn, there was no indication that either was hull down to the other and the hit percentage calculated for his Sherman to hit the Stug (88%) clearly did not include a modifier based upon the Stug being hull down. Either the Stug was hull down or it was not. One of us (almost certainly him) was receiving incorrect information. I'm wondering whether this is a bug or some sort of FOW effect.