Supply points

Comanche

From the user guide ...

Most scenarios allow limited, ammunition replenishment through the use of the Supply Window. Use the Supply button in the Unit Orders Window to summon the Supply Window. The Supply Window is a simplified, nonspecific representation of the many ways that additional ammunition can be in or get to a unit - by delivery, prestaging, carrying extra, scrounging, etc. Use of the resupply capability can often be very unrealistic. Its use should be governed by mutual agreement in two player games.

A transportable, user defined, Logistics Package marker can also be added to a scenario by using the Options/Add One Unit menu item. The Logistics Package marker can be used to resupply any unit that is located within 200 meters. The Supply Window is also used to access the supply points that are in a Logistics Package.

Minor resupply is addressed in a very conceptual way with a resupply button in the unit orders dialog. TacOps calculates a reasonable supply of extra items on hand and limited local delivery of more as each scenario starts up. The resupply number (supply points) is a function of the number and types of troops and equipment in the scenario, as well as the expense, bulk, and weight of the ammo that they are using. The function allows a player to avoid being unrealistically limited to a basic load, but it also prevents having too much of the good stuff. I don't see the need to burden the average player with more detail given the time and distance scale of the typical TacOps engagement - less than two hours of battle and less than 20 kilometers of movement. However, if a user wants to have supply dumps and trace a path to them before resupply he can do that as a personal goal.

If you are playing solitare or PBEM, you have enough time to conduct resupply if you are interested. TACOPS includes many types of tactical trucks for this purpose. Somewhere around here we have a download of the weapons database that includes the approximate supply points per round [or vice versa] for each weapon system. That allows you to specify the size of each log pack to be consistent with the type of ammunition you want to portray.

Major, I read that in the user guide (one of the smallest sections) but I'm having trouble processing the information so let's see if I got this strait.

The Supply Points were added as a SIMPLE form of logistics for those who wanted to use them (I don't think that any of the "canned" scenarios use them) and are SIMPLE by nature of the scale of the game.

Coyote, where would that be. With the loss of TACOPS Headquartes I lost most of my TACOPS Links.

>The Supply Points were added as a SIMPLE form of

>logistics for those who wanted to use them

Correct.

>(I don't think that any of the "canned" scenarios use them)

Most of the canned scenarios include supply points. To resupply a unit, click on the Supply button in its Unit Orders Window and then follow the screen instructions.

They do not include on map markers called Logistics Packs.

Commanche,

Click on the email icon and send me your address, with the subject, "Weapons Database". I'll send you the version that the Major posted last spring. There are many more "units" now but very few of the guns and missiles have changed. Is MS Excel format okay?

Once the new tacopshq.com site is up, I expect most of these support files will have a new home. And of course some afternoon the good Major won't have any pressing engagements and may decide to post an updated version for us "rabid" hobbyists. :rolleyes: