Anyone care to try out my Omaha Beach scenario?

I've been working on a scenario for the section of Omaha Beach at Les Moulins (Dog3)

to exit Easy1, and as far back as the outskirts of St. Laurent-Sur-Mer. I really don't know much about this battle as my intended purpose was just to test out the editor. But that all of a sudden grew into a bloody massacre. I found some maps of the german stronghold points and tried to imitate that section as accurately as possible but i know it needs work. Anyway i'm posting this mostly for help because i may have recreated it a little too good. I get SLAUGHTERED. I mean its a bloodbath that you have to see to understand. I would say of 2 Rifle Companies, an Engineering Platoon, 4 or so bazooka men, and a few other units; casualty rates are estimated at 85% within 5 turns. The closest i've come personally was knocking out one pillbox before they (US) surrendered. So if anyone would like to try it, and perhaps give me some feedback on making it more balanced and fun in general PLEASE mail me at t00sh0rt_2000@yahoo.com as soon as possible. thx smile.gif

[This message has been edited by t00sh0rt (edited 06-24-2000).]

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by t00sh0rt:

..give me some feedback on making it more balanced and fun in general PLEASE give me a buzz on ICQ as soon as possible. thx smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh i don't have icq but you should give the americans tons of 4.5 inch (~105mm) naval fire as if they have the ear of a bunch of destroyers out in the water.

then give them some air support and see if those two ingredients don't even it up.

andy

This should help you out a little. http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/BOOKS/WWII/utah/utah3.htm.

I already did a scenario on this. But did not release it. I manage to get 50% of my first wave on beach and I do use accurate bunker positions and MG positions.Utah and Omaha consisted of multiple waves. I am not sure if it was Omaha or Utah that had the 8 destroyers. But the other had cruisers. Opps sorry that is the Utah beach one. :P

[This message has been edited by V B (edited 06-24-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Andy's right about the naval gunfire support, except for a couple things. Historically it was 5", although I don't know if the game models that caliber. Also, I don't know about giving them a "ton" of it. There was one, or maybe two destroyers that went in close to the beach and fired at (effectively) point-blank range. Each of them would have been equivalent to a battery of artillery. But it should be VERY accurate.

As far as I know, there was no air support for this part of the battle.

VB is also right about the multiple waves, so you should get reinforcements.

If you can get your hand on a copy, Samuel Elliot Morrison's /History of Naval Operations in World War II/ has a volume devoted to the naval aspects of Overlord (Neptune) that would cover the matter and might give you the timing of arrival of the follow-up waves.

As for modeling sand, can't you use Open Ground and Damp conditions?

Michael